10 Household Uses for Salt

$2

My husband and I cook with a lot of Himalayan sea salt, and occasionally kosher salt. What I rarely use these days is table salt. We live in a tiny, albeit adorable, Cape Cod-style home. Every storage space is precious so what I don't feel like storing are canisters of table salt that go untouched for months. I decided to put my salt to good use with some of these creative household uses for salt!
1.Keep cut flowers fresher longer by mixing a tbsp of salt into the water. Once it's time to replace your flowers, rub 2-3 tbsp of salt onto the stains in your glass vase, then scrub clean with a damp brush or sponge.
2. Destroy unwanted weeds that grow in between the driveway, bricks or sidewalks of your home by pouring boiling salt water over them.
3. Pour salt over any spilled eggs, before wiping up with a paper towel.
4. Clean stainless steel by rubbing it with a paste of 2 tbsp salt mixed with lemon juice. Rinse and dry with a soft cloth.
5. Before vacuuming up muddy footprints or paw prints on your carpet, sprinkle first with a little salt.
6. Remove grease stains and spills by pouring salt directly onto the spill. Let sit for awhile before proceeding to clean as normal.
7. Remove heat rings from your table with a paste of salt and olive oil. Let sit for an hour, then wipe clean.
8. Pour salt immediately on any spilled wine or fruit stains on your tablecloth, clothes or linen napkins to absorb the stain. If it's a fruit stain, be sure to rub the salt into the stain while it's still wet. Then proceed to wash as normal with laundry.
9. Restore the color of faded fabric by soaking in a solution of salt and water, before washing.
10. Remove perspiration stains by first creating a paste by combining a little water with salt, then rubbing into the stain. Wait at least an hour before washing as normal.

Sarah Jane Dunaway

• Swinnen Lisette

Do you think that a paste of salt and olive oil can clean a whole wooden table (bare wood, no varnish not oiled or so) ? My boss has one that's covered with scratches, it has stains of red wine, oil, etc on it. All the stains made during the years are faded to almost nothing and still the table looks always filthy. You can hardly wipe it off because it is so "dry". I offered to sand it down and rub it with line oil or even varnish it but he doesn't want to.

• Sarah Jane Dunaway

It certainly wouldn't hurt to try! And it could remove at least some of the old stains. I would let the paste sit on the table for at least an extra hour or so, just to give it extra time to remove the old stains.

• Col7221255

When were the Himalayas near enough to the coast to be called seasalt

• Maggie

Himalaya Salt is mineral not sea, the big lakes which dry out on the flats leave behind the deposits of salt.

• Barbara

I always clean my glass coffee carafe with a few tbsp of salt and a few drips of water. it takes the coffee stains out and the carafe is sparkling clean again. I fill the carafe to overflowing after cleaning to make sure I've removed every trace of the salt to avoid 'salting' my next pot of coffee.

• Buddy

NEVER put salt on brick work. The salt will eat away at the mortar or cement and ruin it.