What is this shrub/bush?

+27
I saw this bush at a store parking lot and admired the gloss of the leaves AND the rather large size of them. I snapped this photo with pick up truck alongside for an idea of leaf size. It was under a tree (not pictured) that was still young and provided only enough shade for the little planting area so I'm curious as to what this is and if it's for shade, partial shade, full sun (which I imagine I'll learn once I know what to it is) based on somebody's experience with it. Can anyone help identify it at least? Thanks in advance.
q what is this shrub bush, gardening, outdoor living
  • B. Enne B. Enne on Apr 24, 2015
    I'm no gardner by any stretch, but it looks a bit like a boxwood, not the one with rounded leaves. Buxus sempervirens??
  • Rosemarie Bumbardatore Rosemarie Bumbardatore on Apr 24, 2015
    Looks like it might be one of the many varieties of holly. Are the leaves hard? I have one that is very shiny but does not look like what we think of as a traditional holly. You could always take a leaf to a knowledgeable garden center.
  • Jela Cook Jela Cook on Apr 25, 2015
    Pachysandra
    • See 1 previous
    • MikkiGirl MikkiGirl on Apr 25, 2015
      @Jela Cook Pachysandra is a low growing ground cover.
  • Dottie Dottie on Apr 25, 2015
    A healthy rhododendrun.
    • Linda T Linda T on Apr 25, 2015
      @Dottie At first, I thought it might be a rhododendron too, but mine always have next year's flower buds on them, so there's never an empty branch-end.
  • Pat Reeve Pat Reeve on Apr 25, 2015
    Looks life a variety of Pittosporum, perhaps a mock orange.
    • Trudi Trudi on Apr 25, 2015
      Looks like the pittosporum growing in my yard. Branches are woody, smells icky. It could be a schefflara if the branches are more green than wood. Really need to know the location.
  • Flossietilly Flossietilly on Apr 25, 2015
    I agree Dottie, very popular in the UK
  • 1240839 1240839 on Apr 25, 2015
    Photinia, maybe.
  • Lindsey Lindsey on Apr 25, 2015
    It looks like a PJM Rhododendron.
  • Me Me on Apr 25, 2015
    where do you live? You can always take a piece to your local County Extension Agent for an accurate ID.
  • Len Clement.sr Len Clement.sr on Apr 25, 2015
    Ask George Bush! (haha)
  • Sue Sue on Apr 25, 2015
    Bufford Holly
  • Mimi Haywood Mimi Haywood on Apr 25, 2015
    Pittosporum.
  • Nathenia Nathenia on Apr 25, 2015
    Rhododendron. The blooms are wonderful for using in floral arrangements.
  • Linda Tatom Peterson Linda Tatom Peterson on Apr 25, 2015
    It looks like a Gardenia.
  • Jane Jane on Apr 25, 2015
    Not sure what this could be BUT for future plant identification try this app on your phone. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/likethat-garden-flower-identification/id957861141?mt=8 It is free, fun and works pretty well...especially on flowers.
  • ' ' on Apr 25, 2015
    I'm thinking it looks like one of the many varieties of euonymous.
  • Barbara C Barbara C on Apr 25, 2015
    If it is in or near a parking lot,it can handle heat and full sun.
  • Irene Irene on Apr 25, 2015
    I've contacted the Colorado Extension Service several times, and they are extremely helpful for this kind of thing (as well as identifying garden insects). Their web address is www.ext.colostate.edu. Good Luck!
  • Cindy Cindy on Apr 25, 2015
    I think it is Rhododendron.
  • Carol Carol on Apr 25, 2015
    Take a sample to any nursery, they should be able to identify it for you.
  • Jill Jill on Apr 25, 2015
    My vote is Pittosporum.
  • Joffler Joffler on Apr 28, 2015
    Thank you all for your responses. I think it most closely resembles a rhododendron. I didn't think they grew around the Houston area but apparently some varieties can since they're closely related to azaleas and azaleas grow as much around here as photinia. Thank you again.
    • Denise Boyce Denise Boyce on Oct 24, 2015
      @Joffler You might want to look at Cleyera also, hard to see in your photo but looks quite like one. Many, many varieties.
  • Barbara C Barbara C on Apr 29, 2015
    It is definitely not a Rhododendron.They like damp,partial shade and would never make it in a hot dry parking lot.I agree with Jill.Pittosporum.
  • Marion Hamilton Marion Hamilton on Jun 01, 2015
    Looks like Laurel. Does it have any flower buds? If so, might be a Camillia
  • Patty S Patty S on Oct 23, 2015
    Different varieties can grow in different light. Some Rhododendrons grow in sun some in the shade. I believe it is a sun variety of the Rhododendron called "Sunset" It grows in zone 5, and one called "Puget sound" in zone 8. They tolerate 6 hours of direct sun each day.