Stephen Scott Johnson
Stephen Scott Johnson
  • Sharpsburg, GA

My First Wooden Cutting Board

Using a few power tools and some sandpaper, I was thrilled to make my first cutting board.
how to make a wooden cutting board, diy, how to, kitchen design, woodworking projects
For less than $50, I purchased three closed-grain hardwoods - walnut, purpleheart, and curly maple. After sanding and then wiping on food-safe mineral oil, the wood with their colors and grain patterns just popped out.
Pictured above is the cutting board in its early stages. I cut several boards to the same thickness, glued them together, and then trimmed off the uneven ends with the tablesaw.
I used my $50 Black and Decker portable belt sander to do rough sanding and to make the surface totally flat and even. This was much cheaper than going out and buying a $300 to $400 planer.
Finished sanding with the orbital sander. Don't forget the dust mask.
Rounded the edges with my router
Added four rubber feet so my board won't slide on the countertop
Wiped on 2 to 3 coats of food-safe mineral oil
My finished cutting board. I gave this one to my mother on Mother's Day.
If you'd like to receive more tutorials like this one in your inbox, please consider subscribing to my Four Oaks Crafts Newsletter. I normally send out 2 emails per month. I do NOT share anyone's email.
When you sign up for the newsletter, I will send you my free Home Shop Safety and Tool Checklist. This is handy to have for those starting a shop or for taking inventory of an existing shop. Shop safety and organization should always take center stage.
Thanks, and happy crafting!

Stephen Scott Johnson

• JoAnn Hanna

Could you use Cedar wood in place of one of these woods?

• Tim22262619

Where did you buy the wood?

• Stephen Scott Johnson

I bought this wood at a place called the Wood Yard in Concord, Ga. south of Atlanta. You may need to find a store like Woodcraft or Rockler that's near you. You won't find these particular hardwoods at your home improvement stores. Wood craft also offers cutting board kits that you can order online. The boards are pre-cut. I have another post where I show you how to make one of those boards.

• Mary Kay Maples

would love to build this myself! it resembles the technique i have heard about for making one's own butcher block counter tops to me. Can this project be adapted to do just that (with the thickness being adjustable-to be a bit thicker I mean)How do I build my very own kitchen island butcher block counter top?