Knock-off Metallic Mirror Frame

Megan at 'the homes I have made' transformed her bedroom with painted furniture and new accessories. What I found striking in this room setting is the metallic silver mirror. Bought for over $120 (R1000), you can easily make this beautiful mirror at a fraction of the cost with a few materials and supplies that can be found at your local hardware store
YOU WILL NEED:
2 of 2400mm lengths of 10 x 94mm PAR pine*
Exterior wood glue
Exterior crack filler
Rust-Oleum Metallic Silver or gold spray paint
2 eye hooks and picture frame hanging wire
Mirror - cut to size once frame is complete
10 glass clips and 10mm screws
Paint scraper
Wooden spoon
Container of water
1. The first step is the make the frame. There are various methods for making your own frames and I have explained several different frame options on the website. For this project I am making a very simple frame using 10mm thick PAR pine, but feel free to make a frame of your choice.
To fasten the frame together I used my Bosch Tacker and staples at the front and back of each join. Since the entire front will be covered you won't see the staples.
2. To mount the mirror you can cut a rebate at the back using a router and cutting bit. However, if you are using 10mm thick pine this is not thick enough to cut out a rebate and you will need to mount the mirror differently.
You can use brass corner brackets to secure the mirror onto the back of the board, or add some glass pins around the mirror.
3. Mix up a thick paste using crack filler and wood glue. Start by adding the crack filler to a bucket and then add a small amount of water to wet. Now you can slowly add the wood filler to make a paste of thick consistency. You want a paste that is the consistency of whisked meringue. If the paste starts to thicken as you work, add a little more wood glue to loosen up.
4. Spread a thin layer of paste over the entire front of the frame and let this dry. Once the first coat is dry you can pile on a second layer. This is the layer that will add the finished effect.
5. Working in small sections at a time, apply the paste with the paint scraper and then quickly dip the wooden spoon in water and use to press and smooth to create ripples in the paste.
6. Continue adding paste and creating ripples with the spoon.
GOOD TO KNOW:
It's important that the spoon always be wet to prevent the paste from sticking to the spoon and also to have a nice smooth depression.
7. Let the plaster dry for a couple of hours but before it sets too hard, use a sharp craft knife to cut away any mess on the inside and outside edges. Sand this smooth with 120-grit sandpaper.
GOOD TO KNOW:
After finishing the entire frame let this dry overnight. It isn't recommended that you do this on a hot day - you don't want the plaster to dry too fast and crack.
Unfortunately my local Builders didn't have the Rust-Oleum Metallic spray in stock, so I had to use Rust-Oleum Universal Satin Nickel. It didn't come out as shiny as the original, but I will re-spray once stock comes in and add the new pic to this page. Although to be honest, it does look stunning in real life - the photo doesn't do justice to the finished frame
Here is the same mirror after applying two coats of Rust-Oleum Speciality Metallic gold - much better and definitely a far shinier effect.
To finish off secure your mirror to the back of the frame. Screw in a couple of eye hooks and add the wire to hang onto the wall.

2 of 2400mm lengths of 10 x 94mm PAR...

Janice Anderssen

• Penny Mackintosh

LOL. I had to laugh at myself, not reading the whole thing. I usually look at the finished product (before reading it all ) to see if I like it and thought it was gorgeous. I laughed at myself because while looking at the one pic (with the spoon making swirls) I could only see the bubble wrap. But, in the finished product the pattern was so much large than the bubble wrap. LOL. I finally did get it though!

But now I’m wondering how this might look using and painting the large bubble wrap???

• Ida9464

I like homemade slightly imperfect better than anything

• Lisa O'Brien

How can picture wire hold that heavy frame and mirror?

• April Arambasich

Lowes carries a product called "Gorilla Hangers" and each one can hold 50 lbs; "Monkey Hangers " hold up to 35 lbs per hanger. They make a tiny hole in the wall that is easy to remedy should you move.

• Lee

How are the outside edges of the frame finished? Are they coated with spackle, sanded and then painted?

• Lisa West

Wow it looks exactly like the original bought for massive amounts of money. You did a great job thank you for sharing it look like a lot of fun to do.

• Fun fraze's

Wow..such a beaitiful result. Amazeing idea looks fab ..such a fab idea. I must try an save this i have the perfect mirror to update thank you for shareing :)