Cleaning Between the Glass on an Oven Door

About 5 years ago, it was definitely a Thursday...how do I know it was a Thursday?Because it was Thanksgiving. We had just bought a great double wall oven. The old one had bit the dust and wasn't keeping the temperature any more. So we had this great wall oven delivered just in time to entertain about 20 members of our family.
cleaning between the glass on an oven door, appliances, cleaning tips, how to
Things were going along great, all the sides were done, the turkey was done and ready to be removed from the oven. The only problem was that when removing the turkey from the oven he managed to drip, and that dripping found its way to the inside of the oven door. Yup dripping between the glass. And that is how my oven door has looked for 5 years.
See those vents in the door, they lead right to between the glass.
Over the years, I did get out the owners manual to see if there was any way to clean the glass. I also unscrewed the screws but nothing moved.
Fast forward to this week, when I'm on Pinterest and lo and behold I find someone that has successfully cleaned between her glass on her oven doors. Her screws were placed a bit differently than mine but I was willing to give it a go one more time. Maybe I was missing something.
My screws did need a special screwdriver but I did have a drillbit that fit perfectly.
So, I undid all my top screws...nothing. Wait, there are a few more screws going down the side...still nothing. It didn't pop open like they promised.
Eventually I found that only the top screws had to be removed. There are even springs inside the door to assist you.
My door did not pop open when the screws were undone. I did manage to get the door apart with one simple little trick. If your oven door popped open with the removal of the screws great, clean away.
If your oven is like mine, you may need one more tool... a simple kitchen knife to gently pry the frame away from the door. It may seem unnatural, but the door just pops right open.
Why this is not in the owners manual, I have no idea. You may want to place a chair under the door to support your oven door while you clean. And here is the oven door, all ready to be cleaned with a degreaser.
If you need more pictures, I hope you get a chance to stop by.
Note: When I posted this I had no idea so many people had the same problem. I had read another post where someone had cleaned between their glass so I tried it. Mine worked so well (with just a little prodding) that I thought I'd share. If you have any misgivings about doing this..don't. One person said her glass broke, I am truly sorry. Another person said I bent the frame on my oven...I didn't. This has been my most read post ever, which I find extremely funny because I'm not the best housekeeper. I would actually prefer to be known for my wood crafting and diys.
ScavengerChic

• Diana Deiley

Think of it this way someone in a factory put it together, so 'we' can take it apart, right? Yes we can. Take a 'before' picture with your phone for referencing when you put it back together. I will be cleaning my oven door this weekend  !

• LindaLou

There is special cleaner for heat proof glass, be sure to use it!

• Vik

once you got it open, what kind of degreaser did you usr

• Jennifer Blommaert Uidl

You can use vinegar and baking soda or vinegar a dash of dawn and rubbing alcohol MIXED WITH WATER .BE SURE THE GLASS IS COMPLETLEY COOLED TO ROOM TEMP SO AS NOT TO SHATTER THE GLASS

• Connie

Ok, I have my self-cleaning oven clean itself, but afterwards, there are dark marks along thetas of the oven door. How do I get those removed? It happened during the cleaning. I have tried different detergents. Nothing seems to take it off.

• Deb

Most ovens have a slot on the bottom of the door you can rubber band a cloth to a yard stick and insert soaked with cleaner to clean . To make easier remove door from oven it has easy removable clips

• Jackie Cook

Yes I did As Soon As I read it.Thank you it worked for me> I wish I had know about this sooner. Looka brand new.Thank you again. Very smart!