Cleaning Between the Glass on an Oven Door

About 5 years ago, it was definitely a Thursday...how do I know it was a Thursday?Because it was Thanksgiving. We had just bought a great double wall oven. The old one had bit the dust and wasn't keeping the temperature any more. So we had this great wall oven delivered just in time to entertain about 20 members of our family.
cleaning between the glass on an oven door, appliances, cleaning tips, how to
Things were going along great, all the sides were done, the turkey was done and ready to be removed from the oven. The only problem was that when removing the turkey from the oven he managed to drip, and that dripping found its way to the inside of the oven door. Yup dripping between the glass. And that is how my oven door has looked for 5 years.
See those vents in the door, they lead right to between the glass.
Over the years, I did get out the owners manual to see if there was any way to clean the glass. I also unscrewed the screws but nothing moved.
Fast forward to this week, when I'm on Pinterest and lo and behold I find someone that has successfully cleaned between her glass on her oven doors. Her screws were placed a bit differently than mine but I was willing to give it a go one more time. Maybe I was missing something.
My screws did need a special screwdriver but I did have a drillbit that fit perfectly.
So, I undid all my top screws...nothing. Wait, there are a few more screws going down the side...still nothing. It didn't pop open like they promised.
Eventually I found that only the top screws had to be removed. There are even springs inside the door to assist you.
My door did not pop open when the screws were undone. I did manage to get the door apart with one simple little trick. If your oven door popped open with the removal of the screws great, clean away.
If your oven is like mine, you may need one more tool... a simple kitchen knife to gently pry the frame away from the door. It may seem unnatural, but the door just pops right open.
Why this is not in the owners manual, I have no idea. You may want to place a chair under the door to support your oven door while you clean. And here is the oven door, all ready to be cleaned with a degreaser.
If you need more pictures, I hope you get a chance to stop by.
Note: When I posted this I had no idea so many people had the same problem. I had read another post where someone had cleaned between their glass so I tried it. Mine worked so well (with just a little prodding) that I thought I'd share. If you have any misgivings about doing this..don't. One person said her glass broke, I am truly sorry. Another person said I bent the frame on my oven...I didn't. This has been my most read post ever, which I find extremely funny because I'm not the best housekeeper. I would actually prefer to be known for my wood crafting and diys.
ScavengerChic

• Joyce Legg

My question is, “Why should you have to take your oven apart to clean it to begin with?” I have a Whirlpool stove with a smaller upper oven and larger lower oven so I have TWO doors to take apart to clean between the glass. We put a man on the moon. Can’t we make an oven with vents placed so that spills don’t end up between the glass?

• Mal21657625

I have a self-cleaning oven 10+ years old I haven't cleaned . What will happen if I clean it now ,will it catch on fire. need help.

• M. K. M.

any fire in your oven, not just from self cleaning, will put itself out one it has sucked whatever oxygen is in the oven. Whatever you do, DONT open the oven door and if your broiling meat catches fire, immediately SHUT the oven door and obviously turn off the appliance.

If there is that much black smoke, I would shut down the oven and try to clean any loose or semi loose debris, prior to restarting the process.

• Diana Deiley

Think of it this way someone in a factory put it together, so 'we' can take it apart, right? Yes we can. Take a 'before' picture with your phone for referencing when you put it back together. I will be cleaning my oven door this weekend  !

• Divagram

thank you. much needed suggestion. will try this.

• Lynlee Darby

I am inspired but afraid! I have a double oven it sat in a storage area and has cobwebs and dirt and gunk in between! I hope I can do this without tearing anything up!