Cleaning Between the Glass on an Oven Door

About 5 years ago, it was definitely a Thursday...how do I know it was a Thursday?Because it was Thanksgiving. We had just bought a great double wall oven. The old one had bit the dust and wasn't keeping the temperature any more. So we had this great wall oven delivered just in time to entertain about 20 members of our family.
Things were going along great, all the sides were done, the turkey was done and ready to be removed from the oven. The only problem was that when removing the turkey from the oven he managed to drip, and that dripping found its way to the inside of the oven door. Yup dripping between the glass. And that is how my oven door has looked for 5 years.
See those vents in the door, they lead right to between the glass.
Over the years, I did get out the owners manual to see if there was any way to clean the glass. I also unscrewed the screws but nothing moved.
Fast forward to this week, when I'm on Pinterest and lo and behold I find someone that has successfully cleaned between her glass on her oven doors. Her screws were placed a bit differently than mine but I was willing to give it a go one more time. Maybe I was missing something.
My screws did need a special screwdriver but I did have a drillbit that fit perfectly.
So, I undid all my top screws...nothing. Wait, there are a few more screws going down the side...still nothing. It didn't pop open like they promised.
Eventually I found that only the top screws had to be removed. There are even springs inside the door to assist you.
My door did not pop open when the screws were undone. I did manage to get the door apart with one simple little trick. If your oven door popped open with the removal of the screws great, clean away.
If your oven is like mine, you may need one more tool... a simple kitchen knife to gently pry the frame away from the door. It may seem unnatural, but the door just pops right open.
Why this is not in the owners manual, I have no idea. You may want to place a chair under the door to support your oven door while you clean. And here is the oven door, all ready to be cleaned with a degreaser.
If you need more pictures, I hope you get a chance to stop by.
Note: When I posted this I had no idea so many people had the same problem. I had read another post where someone had cleaned between their glass so I tried it. Mine worked so well (with just a little prodding) that I thought I'd share. If you have any misgivings about doing this..don't. One person said her glass broke, I am truly sorry. Another person said I bent the frame on my oven...I didn't. This has been my most read post ever, which I find extremely funny because I'm not the best housekeeper. I would actually prefer to be known for my wood crafting and diys.
ScavengerChic

• Vik

once you got it open, what kind of degreaser did you usr

• Connie

Ok, I have my self-cleaning oven clean itself, but afterwards, there are dark marks along thetas of the oven door. How do I get those removed? It happened during the cleaning. I have tried different detergents. Nothing seems to take it off.

• Nancy Pena Brocker
      22 minutes ago

My favorite cleaning go to-s for household scrubbing needs are: Bar Keeper’s Friend (even use for glass stovetop), Borax, and baking soda...

• Gail

Does your oven still provide accurate temperature settings after taking the door apart. Wondered if any seals might be broken to allow heat to escape?

• Rob lunt

you can buy an oven thermometer from currys for less than a fiver, this will tell you if your thermostat is working properly

• Shirley Rydzik

I was told you can clean the inside glass by incerting cleaning cloths thru the bottom of the door, should be opened at the bottom.

• ScavengerChic

If you have an opening go for it. I've heard this also but I don't have the opening.

• Parker

Can you please come to my house and do mine? Welp, I was all ready to do the through-the-vent-with-a-wet-towel-covered-yardstick trick and took off the door to my wall oven, only to find that the glass I needed to clean was unreachable with this technique. I hesitated taking screws out just yet as there are no instructions in the owner's manual.

I used live chat with the lovely unhelpful folks over at Frigidaire who said they would send me a document by email to clean the glass. I asked just to be sure that these instructions were for the "inside of the inside door glass" and they assured me that was right. "Do I need to remove the oven door," I asked. "No". "Really? How do I access that inside glass?" "You'll see in the instructions." The document came with instructions for the through-the-vent-with-a-wet-towel-covered-yardstick trick.

Next, I called the help line and this lovely unhelpful person told me I had to take four screws out of the door. "Every model has four screws?" I inquired. "Yep." "Can you send me instructions?" "Nope." Dang! I will see if I have the right type of screwdrivers needed and brave it again! There are way more than four screws.