Thrifty Artsy Girl
Thrifty Artsy Girl
  • Belvidere, IL

DIY Simply Sweet Hanging Up-Cycled Birdcage Planter

My idea for this planter came to fruition earlier this summer when my Mom and I went to a local flea market and I scored several birdcages and many other vintage treasures ;). One of the birdcages was pretty large and I knew right away it would be perfect as a hanging planter.
diy simply sweet hanging up cycled birdcage planter, container gardening, gardening, repurposing upcycling
The only problem was it was gold. Gold just wouldn't do for the look I wanted. Plus I had picked up a shepherd's hook that was black and it would flow much better if the birdcage was black too.
So I grabbed a can of black spray paint, some newspaper and a sanding sponge and headed out to the backyard.
I gave the birdcage a light sanding and wipe down before spray painting so that hopefully the paint would adhere and fare well through the outdoor elements.
I then spray painted the birdcage black (and the grass/weeds).
A few days later when the paint on the birdcage was dry and I had some spare time I gathered the last bit of supplies I needed to finish my planter. I had to brainstorm on what kind of pot I could squeeze inside since I only had a little door on the side of the birdcage to put whatever I wanted inside of it. The top, unfortunately, didn't flip open like a lot of other decorative birdcages. So I bought a molded coco liner and a clearance petunia plant hoping they would work out.
The coco liner fit in almost perfectly. I then transferred the petunia plant by sections through the door and wove the delicate flowers through the bars to hang outside of the birdcage.
Here's the finished birdcage planter (if you find your eyes straying to the claw marks on our fence it's not from crazy coons or other wild animals, it's from our Amstaff Darwin, he's a jumper!). Such a simple and quick DIY planter! I think it turned out very elegant and sweet looking. Not bad for 15 minutes of my time! To see more info or pictures on this tutorial, check out my blog :)
Thrifty Artsy Girl

• Hannah V

So gorgeous!

• Alicia W

Love old birdcages but hate that they are usually so expensive. I'll be on the lookout for an inexpensive one and copy your cute idea. Thanks for the inspiration.