DIY Crate Stools With Storage

With school starting back up, I think it's the perfect time to share one of the best projects I created for my classroom in the past 10 years I've taught. They serve a dual purpose - a place for kids to sit, and a place to store all that stuff that takes up so much room at the beginning of the year (by November, you'll need to find something else to store in these crates, because you know the Kleenex will be well gone by then. I really think kids eat it...) Not only are they great in the classroom, I also have them in our playroom!
I picked up the plastic crates at Walmart for super cheap ($2 - $3 each), and then also needed 1/4" plywood, foam, fabric, ribbon, and a staple gun. To save money, you could also buy an egg crate mattress pad and cut it down to size, instead of buying foam.
I cut the plywood down to fit perfectly within the inside of the crate. There is a lip on the inside (which is made to store files) that the wood sits on.
Fold up the corners nice and neat,
and staple in place!
I stapled a looped ribbon on the underside of one side, so the kids could easily remove the tops when we needed new supplies. The ribbons are all holding up well, too!
They've already survived two years of 6th graders. I call that a victory all in itself.

Jenny @ Refresh Living

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg

Those look professional! Awesome job and great idea! Love it

• Catherine

I like the ribbon handles...I tied cording around top piece for removal, making sure the knot was on the underside.