Placeofmytaste
Placeofmytaste
  • Mechanicsville, VA

DIY Floating Shelf

I recently made faux succulent planters and wanted a unique way to display them, and do it on a budget. I came up with the idea for a floating shelf!
diy floating shelf, diy, home decor, shelving ideas, succulents, woodworking projects
First I created my little succulent planters.
Then I picked up a round wooden plate from Home Depot, and grabbed my yarn and scissors.
Cut about 50 pieces of yarn, each about 1 1/2 yards long. Tie a knot in the center. This will be placed in the center of your wooden plate.
Split this yarn into 4 parts and place the knot on the middle of the wooden plate with each of the 4 parts going in opposite directions. Twist or braid your yarn on all 4 sides.
Find somewhere high to hang it, then tie a big knot at the end of the yarn, bringing it all back together.
Carefull place your board in the middle of all the yarn, making sure it's level.
Add your succulents, and you're finished!
Placeofmytaste

• Kaylaroberts

Hi, did you use a specific yarn? Does the yarn support and last? Also when you say tie a knot. Did you tie a knot with a different piece of yarn or you took the whole bundle and tied that.. thanks!

• Tracy Lewis Schlereth

Personally, I would use jute, or a macrame style of rope. It’s back in style again! For the knot, tie all pieces together, as an extra string wrapped around the yarn may start to slide down, making your shelf unstable.
  • Jeannette

What did you use on your curtain rod to hang the yarn on? I cant figure out what that is.

• Cathy Gabriele

I did this in the70’s. I macrame the yarn added ornaments. Held glass for a side tables , plants and many ideas.
  • Linda Abate

Such a clever idea. This would be nice beside a bed if there is not room for a night table or in the bathroom to display some pretty soaps, a hand towel and some body lotion. I am sure there are many ideas out there for this beautiful craft idea.