This old beauty was begging for someone to take her in and fix her up! The old finish was flaking, the veneer was peeling up, and pieces were missing. My first big undertaking and I was bound and determined to do her justice!
Antique Vanity Restoration
I started by giving her a nice good cleaning. I pulled up the veneer that was already damaged and not worth saving. Then, I let the dust fly and started sanding and sanding, and sanding.....and sanding! I wanted to refinish what I could back to a beautiful stain, so, it was a lot of sanding!
I even got her turned upside down! You just cant quite get to all those curves and crevices unless you get the right angle! Here I was continuing with sanding the legs and got all the cob webs and spiders while she was in a good position!
A little bit of bondo goes a long way! I wasn't able to save all the veneer, but I knew that before I started. I used bondo to patch all the spots that were missing. I sanded it down smooth and she was ready for some paint and stain!
A bit of brasso and elbow grease got the original hardware to clean up quite nicely!
I stained the drawers and laid a few coats of satin poly on top. After this dried for a few days, I went back into the decorative crevices and added a bit of color!
This beautifully vibrant shade of blue was used to add detail and encompass the sides, tops, and mirrors. The frame, legs, and drawers were stained in this rich and deep color.
This beauty had been waiting a long time for someone to look at her the way she deserved to be looked at! Now everyone will do a double take!
- Sandpaper (Lowes)
- Brasso (Gillmans)
- Steel wool (Gillmans)
- Lacquer thinner (Gillmans)
- Valspar Paint (Lowes)
- Zar Stain (Gillmans)
- Satin Poly - Zar (Gillmans)
- Titebond (Lowes)
Published February 15th, 2017 2:33 AM
4 of 53 comments