How do I frame out a deep window?

by Lilly

I need to frame out the inside of my cottage windows. The window is 91/4 inch deep because the building was built out of ICF m. Do I double up on the wood around the frame or use a thick shimmy behind the frame and use spray foam insulation behind. I’m really not sure what to do and would love advice on how to trim out a window.

  5 answers
  • Tonytiger69 Tonytiger69 on Dec 17, 2018

    I would install a wood sill to match your other wood trim and use drywall for the returns at the top and sides.

  • Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Dec 17, 2018

    Can't tell a whole lot from your pic but here is video on whole thing Jamb,Casing,Sill & Apron Trimming

  • Gary B Gary B on Dec 17, 2018

    I would go solid on the window stool for the support but shimming the sides and top should work fine and insulate with minimal expanding foam or fiberglass.

  • Seth Seth on Dec 17, 2018

    The video in Lynn's post lays out the basics. You need to trim the overfoam that can be seen in the picture. Use a hacksaw blade out of the saw frame. Cut the foam flush. You might want to consider trimming the inside with drywall and having a drywall return for where it meets the inside wall. It would be a simple and clean look that you could dress up with a nice stool. It seems like you almost have too much space around the window even though it is just rough framing. You also might want to consider a face frame to go around the window first and then trim out from there.

  • I have nothing to add, you just have a stunning view and beautiful property.