Oven cleaning

+11

Can I use the overnight ammonia cleaning method if I have a gas stove?

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Nov 03, 2021

You should be able to use it with no issues. However, do keep in mind that ammonia can be very damaging to your lungs, eyes, nose, throat and can even cause blindness or death so I personally would steer clear of ammonia to clean anything.

• Deb K Deb K on Nov 03, 2021

Hi Kathy, you sure can, hope this video helps you out,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWNieJmic9k

• Mogie Mogie on Nov 03, 2021

If you have a gas oven, make sure to turn off both the gaslight and the pilot light before you continue through the cleaning process.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Nov 03, 2021

Yes, I preheat mine to 200, shut it off and add a bowl of ammonia and let it set closed overnight, in the morning have good ventilation and open the oven and wipe clean. The fumes do the work.

• William William on Nov 03, 2021

Another way

https://www.hometalk.com/diy/clean/ovens/how-to-clean-an-oven-6111681

• Yes you can. But just be mindful of the negativeeffects it can cause to body.

• Betsy Betsy on Nov 03, 2021

Hi Kathy: Here is a quick and easy way to clean your oven, and how I do it. I have a gas oven, too.

What I use is a paste of vinegar and cream of tartar (the dry stuff). Make a paste and put it on the gunk. Let it sit for about 15 or 20 seconds and then scrape off with a plastic putty knife or one of those plastic scrubbies. You may have to do it a couple of times if the gunk is thick, but usually not. A lot of people don't know, but on most stoves, the door lifts off and the bottom of the oven (the oven floor) also comes off, as do the rails on the side that hold the grates. You don't have to take the door off to get the oven floor or grates out. Sometimes it's hard to get the door back on:) There is no smell and it is environmentally safe.

Good luck.

• If your oven has a self-cleaning option, I'd try that first rather than the ammonia. You can put the racks in a trash bag with ammonia and leave them outside overnight, that works for getting those clean but I'd find other options for inside.

• Janice Janice on Nov 04, 2021

For safety's sake on a gas oven, I'd use vinegar and baking soda rather than using ammonia which is very smelly, especially in a small space like an oven where you'll be having to reach into it.

• Maura White Maura White on Nov 07, 2021

You should try just baking soda. Sprinkle that on some gunked up area, spray with water, let it sit for a half hour, and then wipe off. Then you don't have to deal with that intense ammonia scent!

• Dee Dee on Nov 08, 2021

Yes I just did it on my oven. Had burned on butter on the bottom. It took 2 applications to clean it tho.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Nov 09, 2021

I wouldent you never know if the gases mix what. Could happen.

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Nov 09, 2021

Do not do this it has fumes can be toxic. use something natural