How can I clean a white toilet that is stained from hard water?

+9

I have tried Comet and Alka Seltzer - neither work.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Sep 13, 2021

You could use a couple of denture tablets, let it fizz and set overnight, then scrub out.

• Betsy Betsy on Sep 14, 2021

She didn't mention cleaning the 'jets' , which are actually rim holes.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Sep 13, 2021

Invest in a 2 liter bottle of cola. Pour it in at night and let it sit overnight and then clean. An alternative is to put it in before leaving the house in the morning. I've used name brand, and the generic stuff and it all works. It removes corrosion and rust from metal, too.

• Try a product called 'Scouring Stick'. It's pumice and available at Walmart.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Sep 13, 2021

Use a descaler, if it is not effective alone scrub with a scouring stick. Make sure to clean the jets under the rim as well.

• Janice Janice on Sep 13, 2021

A liquid product that comes in a slender green plastic bottle called C-L-R will work. Just flush your toilet, pour in the clear liquid (looks like water) and use a toilet brush to swish it around. Then leave it for as long as possible. (overnight at least) and then use a toilet brush to clean again. Your problem should be resolved. Worth a try.....at least!

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Sep 13, 2021

Besides a Scouring Stick the best product I've found for our toilets (and we have very hard water) is called The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner.

Hi Em, she didn't specify what part of the toilet she was having trouble with. I assumed it was the ring where the water line sits as that's the worst place for us because we also have very hard water. The Works has always worked for us in this case.

• Mogie Mogie on Sep 13, 2021

You need to clean the jets.

How to Clean the Rim Jets on a Toilet Bowl

https://www.thespruce.com/cleaning-toilet-jets-2719011

• Betsy Betsy on Sep 14, 2021

Hi Judy: You can try scrubbing with Barkeepers Friend or Bon Ami. You don't want anything that will scratch the porcelain or you will have a bunch of issues with it. Vinegar is good to get rid of hard water stains. In the tank, get something to hold the ball cock or whatever you have that goes down when you flush, up so that no water goes into the toilet. Flush the toilet and when the water is gone, put some toilet paper on the stains and spray the vinegar or some bleach on it. NOT BOTH! Check periodically to make sure the papers are still wet. After about an hour or so, check to see if the stains are gone. If they are, remove what you have holding the ball cock up and just flush the toilet. Then, scrub with Barkeepers Friend or Bon Ami and you should be good to go.

If, as some are talking about, you need or want to clean your rim holes, the holes around the rim where the water comes into the toilet, try this. They should be cleaned at least every other month if you have hard water. You can get a spray bottle and spray - very liberaly - some white vinegar into the holes. After about 30 minutes, use a small finishing nail to shove up into the holes, wiggle it around gently and spray again and then the nail. I use a mirror to check to see how the holes are doing. It's not really coated in the holes, but you don't want to chip the porcelain around the holes, so be easy with the wiggling :) Then flush and while the commode is filling, use your mirror to check the holes and see if they are running good. If any aren't, make a mental note and clean those. Don't put vinegar into the tank as vinegar can it damage the rubber seal to the point of causing leaks, and you don't want that :)

Good luck.

• Annie Annie on Sep 16, 2021

I have tried the Coke trick and it did work. Empty the bowl completely of water, then pour in Coke (I poured it right to the top, because that is where a lot of our stains were). Left it alone for about 24 hours.

That took a LOT of it off, and I was able to then scrub the rest of it off with a cleaner. You can use a pumice stone too