How do you get a musty smell out of old wood

+3
I was given an old 8 panel window so I could use it as a craft project. I absolutely love it and can't wait to do what I want to do to it however the old musty smell is killing my allergies and I need to find a way to air it out or get rid of the smell any suggestions?

• Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Dec 27, 2017
    let it get good and dry -- it's most likely been outdoors or in a damp environment --- if dry there shouldn't be any odor

• Wipe it down with vinegar; lightly sand the entire piece; place in a lawn and leaf garbage bag with a bunch of charcoal; lay on a trash bag and sprinkle heavily with baking soda, after a week or so flip over and do the other side.

• I would start my washing it down with Murphy's Oil Soap. After that, try putting it in a plastic bag with some newspaper. The newspaper will absorb odors.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 27, 2017
    Plain white vinegar and fresh air

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 27, 2017
    After cleaning expose it to as much as possible to the sun.

• Bol30011902 Bol30011902 on Dec 27, 2017
    I purchased a storage cabinet that had a really bad musty smell. I laid newspaper on each shelf, covered it with pieces of coal (the type you barbecue with) and shut the door for two weeks. Then painted it with white shellac which is a sealant and then painted it. Maybe you could wrap the window in newspaper being sure to pour pcs. of coal then wrapping it again. Just a thought.