How can I clean these black spots off my dishes?

+11

My stoneware dishes have developed a blackened coating on them. Not sure if it’s from the dishwasher. How do I get it off?

q how do i get black off my dishes
  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Dec 19, 2019

Hi Susan,

This is weird!

Try Bar Keepers friend. Is this happening with a certain d/w product? Maybe try another product or send an email to the d/w detergent product stating this is happening with their product and see what they have to offer as an explanation. Have the pkg info ready.

• I would try Magic Eraser.

• Janice Janice on Dec 19, 2019

The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will work well on your black spots. Simply dampen the sponge and rub over the areas and just like that, they will be gone!

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Dec 19, 2019

Hello I would suggest barkeepers friend it is wonderful for Pyrex dishes and getting off utensil marks on white dinner plates.

• Dee Dee on Dec 19, 2019

It is from the dishwasher. Use Bar Keepers Friend and a scrubbie. It will come off but if you put in dishwasher regularly it will happen again. It is caused by the minerals in the water. You may try cleaning the inside of your dishwasher with Afresh.

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Dec 19, 2019

Soak stoneware in clear, hot water to loosen any baked-on foods. Scrape off excess food using a nylon scraper or a kitchen brush. Prepare a baking soda paste by mixing ½ cup baking soda with 3 tablespoons of water. Spread the paste on the stoneware and let it stand for 10–15 minutes.

• William William on Dec 19, 2019

Try using a dab of white toothpaste and a damp toothbrush. Let it foam up while brushing. You can also use a damp cloth.

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Dec 20, 2019

baking soda with toothpaste should do a trick

• Homeroad Homeroad on Dec 20, 2019

Did you try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? It may also be the glaze used that isn't dishwasher safe, but I would try the eraser first.

• Susan Gilbert Susan Gilbert on Dec 20, 2019

Thanks for all the suggestions. Getting ready for Xmas so haven’t had time to try them yet. I’ve had these dishes for 45 years and they have always gone in the dishwasher. It just started happening a few months ago! Will let you know.

• Janice Janice on Dec 22, 2019

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will work for you. It truly is like Magic! Works great on stained coffee or tea cups too!

• Linda Linda on Dec 24, 2019

Lime Away! The deposits are probably from hard water. I spray Lime Away on the dish, wait about 30 seconds, and use a Scotch brand scrub sponge. Works like a charm. Use rubber gloves.

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Dec 27, 2019

Yes, clean the dishwasher. I would use a tablespoon Lime Away and fill up the bottom with a gallon of white vinegar and run it on its hottest setting.

If none of the above suggestions work, make a solution of two scoops oxygenated bleach (genetic oxyclean) and two large bottles of dollar store hydrogen peroxide and a teaspoon of dish soap. Mix solution in a big plastic dish-pan bin and stir until dissolved. Soak the dishes in there for a day.