How do i make bananas last longer?

+8
  • GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Apr 24, 2020

Hi Carol, hope this helps I'll definitely be using these ideas myself as I have three sad bananas on my counter right now https://www.instructables.com/id/Keep-Bananas-Fresh-Longer-slices-too/

• Em Em on Apr 24, 2020

Bananas ripen at room temperature, so to stunt the ripening process bananas can be placed in the refrigerator. To extend the shelf life of bananas at room temperature, place plastic wrap tightly around the stem of the bunch. Bananas can also be frozen, but the texture will change.

If you store in the refrigerator the peel will darken but the banana will last longer.

I freeze slices on a cookie sheet and store in plastic zip lock bags for treats for my dogs.

They love them.

• TheHoneycombHome TheHoneycombHome on Apr 24, 2020

I believe they last longer when refrigerated!

• Annie Annie on Apr 24, 2020

I have heard you can put a piece of tin foil tight up against the top stem. I usually just make Banana Bread from the bananas that turn dark. The darker the better actually.

• Beth Beth on Apr 24, 2020

You can slice them up and freeze them. They last quite a while in the freezer, and they're great for smoothies!

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Apr 24, 2020

To slow their ripening you can wrap the stems with aluminum foil or plastic wrap. They give off a gas (called ethylene gas) from the stems, that makes the banana ripen at a quicker rate. So if you have a bunch of them in a plastic bag, take them out and cover the stems.

• Wrap the stems with plastic wrap, it works!

• Maura White Maura White on Apr 25, 2020

I agree - wrap stems in plastic wrap!

• Betsy Betsy on Apr 26, 2020

Hi Carol: To keep a bunch of bananas fresh for longer, wrap the stems in some plastic wrap. Re-cover the bananas with the wrap after removing one. This method prevents ethylene gas, produced naturally in the ripening process, from reaching other parts of the fruit and prematurely ripening it. If they get too ripe, then you can mash them and put them into a container, press plastic wrap directly on the bananas and freeze them. They will, most likely, turn brown, so you can use them in cooking stuff like banana bread or banana cake. Good luck

• Lucie - Oh my sander Lucie - Oh my sander on Apr 27, 2020

Plastic wrap is usually what I use as well.

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Apr 27, 2020

I use plastic wrap too!