How to Make Festive Orange Place Cards With Real Citrus Slices
If you are having a dinner or holiday party, you’ll want to know how to make these festive orange place cards. This DIY place card idea is fun and easy to make with just a couple of items you probably already have on hand. The fragrance is enough to make it worth making these DIY place cards!
Tools and materials
- Fresh oranges
- Cutting board
- Parchment paper
- Vellum paper
- Black paint pen, sharpie, or other writing tool
- Measuring tape or ruler
- ⅛-inch hole punch
1. Prepare and oven-dry the citrus slices
- Wash and dry the oranges thoroughly.
- Using a knife, carefully slice the oranges into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Lay the orange slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the baking sheet with the orange slices in the preheated oven.
- Bake the slices for approximately four hours.
Remember to flip the slices halfway through the baking time to ensure even drying. During the last two hours of baking, check the slices every 30 minutes to prevent burning. If any slices appear to be browning too quickly, remove them from the oven.
2. Prepare the place cards
- Cut the vellum paper into pieces measuring 1 in. x 3 in.
- Use the ⅛ inch-hole punch to make a hole on the left side of each vellum piece. This will be used to attach the place cards to the citrus slices.
- Write the names of your guests on each vellum piece using a black paint pen, sharpie, or any other writing tool of your choice.
Tip: Get creative with the lettering to add a personal touch.
3. Attach the place cards to the citrus slices
Take a brad and insert it through the hole punched on the left side of the vellum piece. Gently push the brad through the hole and straight into the flesh of the dried orange slice. This will secure the place card to the citrus slice.
4. Display and enjoy!
Once all the place cards are attached to the citrus slices, you can place them on your table as unique and natural decorative pieces for your event.
DIY orange place cards
These DIY holiday place card holders add a touch of rustic charm and they also release a pleasant citrus aroma, enhancing the ambiance of your gathering.
If you plan to use these holiday place cards for a longer period, ensure that the oranges are thoroughly dried to avoid any potential molding. Additionally, you can experiment with different citrus fruits and creative designs to suit your occasion.
Please let me know in the comments if you love this holiday place card idea as much as I do!
For more ideas, follow @refreshingyourhome on Instagram