How to keep glass gems from fading?

+8

I have made several gazing balls and the colors keep fading. What can I do to prevent this from happening?

• Nan W. Nan W. on Apr 26, 2020

Ellen: maybe keep them out of the sun

• Mogie Mogie on Apr 26, 2020

I know that you are supposed to keep gem stone jewelry out of sunlight because a lot of gem stones can fade. And even some like emeralds shouldn't be stored near heat.

• K. Rupp K. Rupp on Apr 26, 2020

Hi Ellen, looks like you are getting glass gems that are probably painted. If you wet them and scratched them, would the color start to rub off? You have to be careful when buying colored glass. So much of the time, when you buy something that looks like a colored glass it was probably made in china and painted to look like the color is part of the glass. The BEST place to get glass gems are from a stained glass store!!! They will never sell you painted glass beads.

• Betsy Betsy on Apr 26, 2020

Hi Ellen: You can get glass gems from the dollar store, if you like the ones that look like little stones. A site I found said this: one of the gals I used to work with said to spray them with a polymer or acryllic coat and let them dry(while still on the hank and not too heavily or they will stick together).. but it only keeps them from fading a bit longer. The next best thing to do is to keep it out of the sun, or bright light and to not handle them with your hands too much. Other than that there's really nothing. At least nothing i've seen or heard of." Good luck

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Apr 26, 2020

Don't use painted gems - only use solid colored glass ones. They will not fade.

• Ken Erickson Ken Erickson on Apr 27, 2020

Sunlight may contribute to fading paint. I like the idea of all glass beads.

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Apr 27, 2020

I think you need to keep them away from bright sunlight

• Many gems fade in sunlight, some more than others. I suspect though that the gems you're using are painted or colored in some way. You might try sealing them with an acrylic gloss spray Might be worth a shot to test it.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Apr 28, 2020

You could try to scotch gard them or just do a wash of color over them again waters down

• Maura White Maura White on Apr 30, 2020

I bet a clear coat of UV protectant nailpolish would do the trick. Here is one place that sells it: http://caceeinc.com/shop/nail-care/sun-protection-topcoat/

• You could try a UV protectant of some sort but generally it’s unavoidable if they’re in the sun.