IKEA IVAR Hack - DIY Cane Radiator Cover
Do you have have radiators in your home?
I have bad allergies to dust so when we did house hunting I specifically looked for houses with radiant heating system. It’s a great system that keeps my house warm yet dust free. The only drawback is they are big and ugly.
What if I turn them into decor items?
When I saw these IKEA IVAR shelving, I know I could make it happen.
Here are the steps I followed:
1. Cut shelving to fit the height of radiator. I left about 3 inches on the top to let hot air flow.
2. Cut extra pieces of MDF to cover the sides, since the shelving didn’t come with it. I used 1/4 inch thick MDF.
Here I also sanded down the black paint since I wanted to paint it white, but I bought black shelving (because it was on sale lol). If I were to buy raw wood I could have skipped the sanding step.
3. After assembling, I painted it using my favourite paint - Sherwin Williams
4. I also made my own knob using crap wood from height cutting and spray painted them yellow - my favourite pop up color!
5. put the radiator cover back on radiator - voila!
Now, will you attempt to cover your ugly radiator?
✔️Shelving: IKEA IVAR shelving and IVAR cane door
✔️White paint: Behr Off White
✔️Yellow paint: Rustoleum Sun Yellow
Find me on Insta: Sibel | DIY & Home (@little.crafter_) • Instagram photos and videos
- IVAR shelving and cane doors (IKEA)
- MDF (HomeDepot)
- Behr Off White Paint (HomeDepot)
- Rustoleum Sun Yellow Spray Paint (HomeDepot)