Can I put wallpaper or even contact paper on paneled walls?

+7
All walls are have paneling. Want to change a few walls, but easily with limited cost.

• Repositionable contact paper would probably work but I am not sure how much it would cost because not sure how much you need.

• Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Nov 13, 2017
    The lines on the paneling will show through. You would be better off painting the paneling. Prime it first with Kilz and then paint. It will update and brighten the walls instantly!

• Karen Tokarse Karen Tokarse on Nov 13, 2017
    Cindy is right. Wallpaper -- especially the kind you will need to cover this -- is very expensive. Follow Cindy's advice.

• Gib6732847 Gib6732847 on Nov 13, 2017
    I've done prime and paint on paneling and it was beautiful. Be sure to use flat or matte finish paint, nothing shiny.
    I think that you will like it. I got lots of compliments on mine and it was easy to do. Good luck.

• Big lulu Big lulu on Nov 13, 2017
    Save yourself a lot of work and expense. Use paint over paneling instead of wallpaper.
    You'll get a whole new look almost instantly.
    Contact paper is a real hassle and wallpaper is expensive. Plus, you'll have to fill the lines between the panels before ever staring. Not going to be easy.

• Kauai Breeze Kauai Breeze on Nov 13, 2017
    You could fill the groves with spackle then sand smooth before applying your primer, then paint. Make sure the paneling is clean of any grease or polish before your prime.

• Big lulu Big lulu on Nov 13, 2017
    Cover the seams with slats for a wonderful board & batten look.

• Dfm Dfm on Nov 13, 2017
    filling in the groves of the paneling is tedious. As the spackle dries it shrinks a bit, and you have to “top If off”...yup done that.. painting is a good option

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Nov 13, 2017
    Yes...we filled grooves and sanded first before wallpaper