Does laminate flooring affect resale value?

+5
I am reflooring my home, and am trying to decide whether or not to use laminate in my kitchen. I had read that laminate lowers resale value of a home. I am also concerned about the wear layer of laminate. I'm not sure how it would stand up to the daily wear and tear of a kitchen floor. Especially a house with dogs in it. And very lovely dogs they are.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 16, 2017
    I have had laminate flooring for over 20 years.They wear well in high traffic areas and I have three dogs.

• Marvan Marvan on Dec 16, 2017
    just do NOT use travertine!!!!

• Suellen Hintz Suellen Hintz on Dec 16, 2017
    Even lovely dogs can damage flooring if toenails aren't kept trimmed. I've also read that laminate lowers resale value...are you planning on selling? I've got hardwood in my kitchen but after 14-1/2 years we've got worn spots in the areas we do most of our chores. I've never been one to use rugs in my kitchen. If you put in tile it'll break if you drop something. What about cork or bamboo?

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 16, 2017
    Personally with dogs, I wouldn't use laminate. If you do go with laminate in the kitchen get the kind that has a sealant on the seams to prevent water infiltration and warping. With dogs I would go for luxury vinyl planks, and you can get them in wood tones.

• William William on Dec 16, 2017
    I agree with Sharon. No flooring lowers resale value. Actually any new flooring will increase value as new owners don't need to worry about doing anything to the flooring. I sold many homes with laminate flooring and they always got a premium price compared to nothing being done. I would not use laminate in the kitchen. Vinyl planks work better in the kitchen and even with dogs consider doing the all he flooring with vinyl planks except maybe the bathrooms.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 16, 2017
    I have 12 inch square tiles in my back room and kitchen and both get heavy use with four dogs that go up to 100 pounds. I have dropped many things on both floors and never even had a chip, although the dropped items are usually worse for the oops. I would rather have something easier to clean and take abuse in the kitchen from spills and water splashes from the sink, etc.. If you want the wood look I would also use the vinyl plank. I don't care how well trimmed the dogs nails are, they still wear down the wood surface.

• By recommendation, I purchased laminate for my house (including the kitchen with the only access to the back yard), and it has been the worst home purchase - ever. I have 3 dogs plus the next door neighbors 3 dogs plus any visiting dogs, 6 cats, a canary and a dragon. No problem with wear and tear, I use Bona products, but I just can't stand it and do not recommend it unless that is all you can afford, but I would even do sheet vinyl over laminate. Can you tell I really do not like it? I am replacing this winter - with hardwood. In my area it may devalue the home by a little bit but not enough to be a deal breaker in most cases. If you have the option, save your money and put in good hardwood floors. That is my vote!

• Cristine Schwartzberg Cristine Schwartzberg on Dec 16, 2017
    This is a question that you should ask a realtor. In our area, hardwood and tile are expected so laminate does lower the value. In other areas, it would not lower the value.