Paper bag flooring

I am preparing to do the technique of the paper bag flooring but I am putting a different spin on it! The one concern I have is that in all of the tutorials about this that I watch, it looks like the paper ripples and I am just curious if it actually flattens COMPLETELY out when it dries? And if it doesn't, does the polyurethane help smooth it out?

Also, any recommendations on the best poly to use and how long you let the glue dry before applying the poly would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks DIYers!!!

• Ken Ken on Jul 06, 2018

It will not flatten out completely and will always have some texture. Best poly to use is one made for flooring. The glue starts out milky white and turns nearly clear when it is dry. Drying time depends on thickness of application, temperature and humidity.

• I imagine if there are wrinkles in the paper, it won't completely flatten out. Same if you are layering over pieces, it won't be completely flat. Polyurethane won't smooth out any imperfections as it's just a sealer. Note if you pick an oil based poly, it will yellow over time.

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Jul 05, 2022

Here are all kinds of tutorials and success and failure stories from Hometalkers about paper bag flooring: https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts/?filter=paper%20bag%20flooring