What kind of flooring can you use on top of existing tile floors?

+3
Our tile has many long cracks that run the length of some rooms. My husband doesn’t want to take out the tile because it runs under the kitchen cabinets, but I’m tired of seeing this ugly crack. Our house is on a slab, and no cracks to walls or outside of house. It’s 5 years old.

• Bijous Bijous on Dec 28, 2017
    Sounds like your slab is shifting. I'd look into that before putting anything on top of the tile.

• Depending on where you live, this can be considered "construction defect" - and sounds like your slab is not sound. I would hire a structural engineer and go back to the builder. In many states they are on the hook for the first ten years. Be prepared to retain an attorney if necessary.

• See 1 previous
    • Do not rest your decision on what your realtor says - even knowledgeable ones do not know everything - do your homework. Check your local building codes, and talk to an attorney, I guarantee they do a healthy amount of construction defect work. No homeowner should ever have to suffer due to poor Craftsmanship. You deserve better for your hard earned money, demand it - there is nothing wrong with standing up for yourself. Good luck!

• Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on Dec 28, 2017
    You may be able to use luxury vinyl plank flooring over your tile. It is easy to install...and can be placed over most other floor surfaces. Check your local home center or flooring store for options in your area.