Whats wrong with my Jacaranda tree??

Alice G
by Alice G
+4
Can anyone tell me whats wrong with my Jacaranda tree? I bought it small about 2 years ago and its mostly all trunk with just the leaves you see.It has grown to about 10 feet , But why no branches below?
gardening tips jacaranda tree, gardening
  • Douglas Hunt Douglas Hunt on Sep 14, 2014
    Alice, I believe this is how Jacarandas grow. See this article from the University of Florida, which says they are "leggy in their youth" and that it may take "several years" before they become well-branched: http://lee.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/GardenPubsAZ/Jacaranda_Mimosifolia.pdf

• Chris Du Bruyn Chris Du Bruyn on Jul 17, 2016
      Thanks Doug.... I planted about 200 Jacarandas in Abuja and they are growing exactly like Alices'. Mine are about 4 years, were grown from seed and is about 7 meters and even flowering.

• Alice G Alice G on Sep 15, 2014
    Thanks Doug I thought maybe I would have to replace it.

• Douglas Hunt Douglas Hunt on Sep 15, 2014
      @Alice G I think you'll just have to be patient, which is so often a gardener's biggest challenge.

• Carol Fredette Carol Fredette on Sep 15, 2014
    If you want it to fill out you must trim top of tree. Don't remove bottom branches. Looks like all the bottom branches have been removed.

• Alice G Alice G on Sep 15, 2014
    Carol I never took a single branch off it. This is exactly how it's growing

• Carol Fredette Carol Fredette on Sep 16, 2014
    The branches don't always form and you get a leggy tree. It will blossom out as it gets older. Just be patient. There's nothing wrong with it as far as I can see. I have 2 of them growing in pots outside. I love these trees, so much shade and beautiful flowers.