How can I get my tomatoes to yield a bountiful crop?

+2
  • Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Jan 07, 2018
    I put mine in rich, fertilized soil with at least 6 hours of sunlight a day (more is even better), water each day, and fertilize every couple of weeks.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jan 07, 2018
    There are many factors that go into large yields, moisture (watering or rain), heat, critters and bugs, nutrition, are just a start. Make sure the soil is good, I always dig a larger hole than necessary and add potting soil, peat moss, whatever I have available to amend the soil around the plant. I put down an extended release fertilizer, do not foliar feed as you can decrease your yield greatly, you want the fertilizer in the roots, not on the leaves or all you will get is a beautiful green plant and not much produce. When the tomatoes look like they are starting to get close to ripening get a good calcium spray and spray the leaves, this is the exception to the foliar feeding, the calcium goes in the leaves and travels to the tomatoes, this will help prevent blossom end rot. Tomatoes like heat and will slow down if it gets chillier than they like, be patient they will start up again soon. Water if it doesn't rain for a while or if it is hot. If the ground cracks, they definitely need water. Put mulch down, I use the grass that is cut when we do the lawn, replace it as it breaks down. Basically it is up to nature for the right conditions, we can only help it along when it is needed. Make sure you support the plants.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jan 07, 2018
    Feed with Tomato Fertilizer...........

• DesertRose DesertRose on Jan 07, 2018
    Tomatoes like potassium, calcium, and NEVER nitrogen. I feed ours with 3 ingredients ground in our food processor: egg shells, banana peels, and coffee grounds (or tea grounds). That should help a bunch. NEVER grass clippings on tomatoes, they do not like the nitrogen.

• Xar29663747 Xar29663747 on Jan 08, 2018
    Pollinators. If you've been liberal with your use of poisons you may have killed off a lot of your local pollinators (including hummingbirds).
    If you must use toxins, avoid the blossoms and don't spray during day when the pollinators are out.
    Make sure you don't add a lot of nitrogen fertilizer (the first #) as that promotes green growth. Tomatoes are heavy feeders so be sure to feed them on the recommended schedule.
    Tomatoes can benefit from multiple transplantings when young. When you transplant tomatoes be sure to remove leaves, (leave at least four) and plant the stripped stem. (you can bend it sideways then up to the surface of the potting soil) Roots will grow from the stem. as this plant gets bigger, you can repeat the process until you have a strong root system and fast growth.
    Start your plants early. Any legginess can be fixed by transplanting!

Hint: Go to your local hydro/grow store and ask for pointers on how to go about setting a lot of flowers on your tomatoes.