Updating Old Steel Kitchen Cupoards
I needed packing space for my craft room, and had decided to revamp old pieces that I wasn't using. My first piece was the office chair and my second project for my new room was packing space.
I was given these old steel cupboards and have just stored them in the outside room.
This cupboard I placed as a division between my husbands garage space and my new space.
This cupboard was a side cupboard from a hospital. I originally painted it with mustang stripes for my sons room, he no longer had use for it so I claimed it back. The mustang stripes weren't working for me though. I love using music sheets, although I don't have a musical bone in my body. So I decided on using music sheets and the material samples from my mum. and of course chalk paint. I cleaned all the pieces down with sugar soap, I think it's the same as washing soda. It's a cleaning product that either comes premixed in liquid for, or in powder form. both are very effective for cleaning.
I used the used the music sheets to over the back of the cupboards as they show towards the street side. I also covered the counter top with the music sheets. I used gel medium to paste the music sheets. I used material pieces as well. They have sayings on them. They are actually tea bag packaging. I sealed everything with a gloss sealer.
Amazing product. Can be used as a glue, and dries clear. Or can be used to add texture on a canvas. Can be bought at an art material supplier or hardware store.
Here's my finished product. I used material for the two drawers. Stuck it with the gel medium. I used chalk paint for the doors and then sanded it down with a fine grit sanding block. I sealed the paint and material with gloss sealer, so that I could wipe them down easily. Let the original paint for the frame. Love the result. As you can see, I'm also using my revamped hat box for storage as well.
For the "mustang" cupboard I used the material samples. I pasted the with the gel medium, after giving the cupboard a coat of chalk paint. The "mustang" blue was too bright.I also sealed this with gloss sealer so that I could wipe them in the future. I stuck the material in a patch work pattern.
I used the music sheets on the top two doors, to tie them in with the other cupboards, and painted the bottom doors with chalk paint, and the lightly sanded them with a fine grit sanding block. I also sealed them with a gloss sealer. The sealer also help protect the paint colour and music sheets from fading, as these cupboards get the morning sun on them.
The cupboards match beautifully with my office chair from my first project.
- Chalk paint and sealer, material samples, gel medium, music sheets, fine grit sanding block
Published April 9th, 2017 4:38 AM