How do I restore an iron fireplace?

Purchased an iron fireplace. It is silver not black, not ornate, just a smooth surface.There are varying degrees of scratchy marks, looks like a brillo has been used on it previously and evidence of light rusting all over. I am desparate to know how to bring it back to original glory showing an even subtle sheen without scratches.I thank you for your advise.

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Jan 31, 2019

You can sand with high grit sand paper or use a rotering tool with a sanding disk. That will also take care of the rust. Prime with a quality oil based primer. Than do 2 coats of oil based paint. Mine turned out great and still looks new after 30 years. I did a faux marble finish on mine. Dont use latex, it will rust.

• See 1 previous

Iron is black. Are we talking Iron? Using the sander should take it down to silver if that's what it is. Sanding will also take care of the rust. Then coat it with oil based clear polyurethane to prevent rust or discoloration. Can you send a picture of the silver areas?

• Jody B Nash Jody B Nash on Jan 31, 2019

There is a product called "naval jelly" that removes rust. Rustoleum brand spray paint is supposed to stop/cover it. Look for "high temperature" spray paint. I know it comes in black, but you may have to google to find it in silver. If you don't intend to use it as a fireplace, silver spray paint will work.

• Sed29007547 Sed29007547 on Jan 31, 2019

Thank you Jody. I ultimately want to polish the metal and hide/erase the scratches if possible. I shall look up Rustoleum and Naval Jelly

• William William on Jan 31, 2019

Lightly sand to remove the rust with 200 grit sandpaper. Use Rustoleum 2X spray paint. Several ight coats will get you a smooth finish.