How to get yard lighting?

+7

Our backyard has gorgeous trees and plants but since there is no electricity back there it is very dark at night and can't see anything.. How do we bring in electricity ? We have outside of the lanai power from the pool..

• William William on Jun 06, 2020

You can use solar lighting or low voltage lighting.

• Beth Beth on Jun 06, 2020

You could try using some solar powered lights. I bet those would look lovely!

• Call your electrician. That's the best and safest way, as electricity is nothing to fool with. If installed correctly, it can short out, start a fire, etc.

If you do not have an electrician, get at least three written bids. Here is how to hire any contractor you will ever need.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0242-hiring-contractor

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Jun 06, 2020

The best bet is to call an electrician that knows the codes and how to bury electrical lines to get you lights where you want them. I can tell you from experience solar lighting just doesn't work well, especially if there are lots of trees. Most stand alone lighting stores have landscaping architects on staff that can work within a budget. Usually are free with purchase of the fixtures. We did that and love it.

• Joy Elizabeth Joy Elizabeth on Jun 06, 2020

If you don't want to hire an electrician, there are string lights and more that run off of solar panels. You can move the panel away from the lights to get it more in the sun.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jun 06, 2020

We have a box set of solar lights from Walmart that were amazingly well. The only problem with the lights if they don’t function quite as efficiently during winter time when the days are shorter. Most times they do throw a nice spotlight on the house and our walkway and exceeded our expectations.

• Ken Erickson Ken Erickson on Jun 06, 2020

I have a solar light on my front yard tree. It cost less than $8. My back yard has low voltage wire running to a water proof timer (even though I have it inside the shed). It needs 100 VAC power, but puts out 12 VDC for the LED spot light. This wire can be buried shallowly or just under my mulch.

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 07, 2020

Hi Debby: Depending on how far away the trees are, what I have done is to dig a trench from my patio's electrical outlet to the tree, about 5" deep. Then I put in some PVC pipe, big enough for an electrical plug to go through, and long enough to reach the trees. I put an extension cord in the pipe, buried the pipe and then put elbows on each end of the pipe so that it curves upwards. Then I put caulking in the ends of the elbows so that it's waterproof at both ends. From there, I put lights in the trees, going from one tree to the next. And, it's easy to mow over the area where the pipes are. Good luck

• Flipturn Flipturn on Dec 17, 2020

re: Joy's comment

The cost of purchasing a solar panel, requisite hardware, and installation, may be more expensive than hiring an electrician to bury the electrical lines to the portion of the yard that you would like lit after dark.

• Deb K Deb K on Dec 17, 2020

Hi Debby, you sound like you may be in Hawaii, you get 12 hours of sun a day, get yourself some solar fairy lights and solar path lights and stick those in where you want to walk at night, they charge really quite well and they last several hours once it gets dark out, the other option is battery operated ones, available online and in stores. Hope this helps you our. You may also want to try using tiki torches for night.