Should I use gravel or mulch for my front lawn?

+9

Hello,Can anyone recommend what I do to lay around my rose, lilac and rhododenron? There was a termite issue in the area that has been fixed and I want to prevent them from coming back. My ranch faces east and gets full sun.I can't decide between rock/gravel or cedar mulch. And should I put it down before the winter? I live in NH so fall is here.

q front house gravel or mulch
q front house gravel or mulch
  • Flipturn Flipturn on Sep 02, 2018

Rock does not blow away in the wind, run off with the snow melt, is heavier to keep landscaping fabric in place underneath, does not disintegrate when hosed with water, and needs no replenishing every season.

• Jojo Snow Jojo Snow on Sep 02, 2018

Also, I've found that some neighborhood cats like to poop in wood mulch (turning my yard into a litter box,) but they don't poop in the gravel.

• Al and Linda S Al and Linda S on Sep 02, 2018

Some good point above, whatever you use, I prefer river rock, ensure that you have a good landscape fabric under the river rock so that weeds don't grow thru.

• Karla Karla on Sep 03, 2018

Make sure that rain doesn’t get trapped under whatever fabric you use if it’s close to your house. We had this issue with a rock garden we put under a tree by one of our window wells. It caused water in our basement for the first time in 30 years. When we had the fabric mostly ripped out it stopped. Just a little warning if you’re thinking about doing this next to your house.

• Gcp33683688 Gcp33683688 on Sep 02, 2018

mulch can contribute to termites if used to close to the house.

• Elizabeth sink Elizabeth sink on Sep 02, 2018

You can get the small white gravel or for a cheaper price the pea gravel then plant flowers in it. It looks great and doesn't have to be replaced every year

• 1401470 1401470 on Sep 02, 2018

You could do something creative with both. Check out my walk path space you could do something similar close to the house.

Look at the last two photos here,

https://www.gardenupgreen.com/2018/08/recycled-wood-planter-boxes.html

This was the actual project,

https://www.gardenupgreen.com/2018/07/gathered-rocks-for-a-walk-path.html

• Steven Steven on Sep 02, 2018

Pros, gravel stays put in rain and wind, does not need to be bought every year, leaf blower will not effect rocks in fall cleanup. Cons, retains heat that can kill plants, expensive to buy, heavy to transport in wheel barrow, needs expensive underlay fabric to keep weeds at bay.

• Archie Archie on Sep 02, 2018

Rock. Helps drain water and termites don't care for the rocky taste.

• Susie Susie on Sep 02, 2018

We used a combination: River rock around the perimeter to accommodate the depth of the roof drip line (and to incorporate some French drains), contained by metal edging, then mulch beyond that under our plantings. The rock was installed to a 3-4" depth with heavy landscape fabric underneath. It was a lot of work, but it has held up beautifully, deters weeds and insects, and seasonal cleanup is much easier. Rock under plantings does hold a lot of heat, so another reason we opted for mulch. Whatever method you opt for, you may want to consider moving some of your plantings a bit further away from your foundation - a minimum of 2-3 ft is recommended depending on the mature size of your plants.

• Andy Andy on Sep 03, 2018

Use gravel, mulch breaks down.

• Nat freeman Nat freeman on Jul 31, 2019

You should use gravel all around an area.Its not only look beautiful but also prevent your foundation from drainage.white marble gravel looks elegant.you can get further help from https://www.squarefootagearea.com/calculator/gravel-calculator/