Does anyone know how to get rid of day lilies?

+14
Does anyone know how to get rid of corn lilies? They are so invasive!
q does anyone know how to get rid of day lilies
  • Dig them out and give away! Many people love day lilies and would be happy to have them. The reason that they are so prolific as you must have perfect growing conditions for them.

• Les30028356 Les30028356 on Sep 24, 2017
    DON'T YOU LIKE TO LOOK AT DAY LILIES ? I THINK THAT THEY ARE A BEAUTIFUL FLOWER. IF YOU WILL LOOK UP DAY LILIES IN AN EDIBLE PLANT BOOK, YOU WILL FIND THAT ALL PARTS OF THE PLANT IS EDIBLE. WHEN THEY FIRST COME THROUGH THE SOIL, THE SHOOTS ARE TENDER AND CAN BE EATEN LIKE ASPARAGUS. THE UNOPENED BLOOMS CAN BE DIPPED IN A SEASONED BATTER AND DEEP FRIED. AFTER THE BLOOMS CLOSE, PICK, DRY AND GRIND THEM INTO FLOUR TO BE USED IN PANCAKES, CAKES AND OTHER BAKED GOODS. LAST BUT NOT LEAST DIG THE ROOTS, DRY, ROAST, GRIND, AND BREW A DRINK SIMILAR TO A TEA OR COFFEE. ( THE INDIANS USED TO USE THE LILIES IN THE SAME MANNER ) MAYBE THATS WHERE THE WHOLE IDEA CAME FROM ?

• See 1 previous
    • Samantha Samantha on Sep 26, 2017
      Thank you for that bit of info i have them everywhere and i have been trying to find out what to do with them. Thank you Lasemartinijr70

• 2dogal 2dogal on Sep 24, 2017
    Dig up the bulbs and give them to me (just kidding). But yes, they grow from bulbs so they are easy to get rid of.

• Deb Deb on Sep 24, 2017
    Yep, dig them up and give them away.

• See 1 previous
    • Judy Judy on Sep 25, 2017
      They are easier to dig usagter rain. Hope that helps. You can also post in yard sale sites if you want others to dig them up. You can show them where they are and they remove them. Less work for you and others are happy.

• Jac28515504 Jac28515504 on Sep 24, 2017
    Dig them up and send them to me.

• RF RF on Sep 24, 2017
    The only day lilies I don't like are the ones that are overstepping their bounds...and now a trying to come up in the grass. Any plant you don't like you can consider a weed in your garden. One friend was so happy to discover day lilies on the side of their new house. Her husband wanted them gone .. he considered them alley plants. They are gone. Comes under heading of pick your battles.

Dig them up ... bag them... label them as day lilies ... FREE ...put at curb.

I'd be surprised if they were not taken.

Free on craigslist

Free on a neighborhood site. Mine starts with Nextdoor ...

or here I'm reaching:
    Put sign out "free day lilies for you to dig up.
    In my neighborhood ... they'd be gone.

Last ... my Church has an annual rummage sale ... with a plant department. They always look for plants to sell.

• See 1 previous
    • Tracy Gilley Howe Martin Tracy Gilley Howe Martin on Sep 26, 2017
      WE had to dig them up and give them away. We find more sprouting every year, even though we thought we dug them all up! Those things don't die...EVER!!!

• Jan Koelsch Jan Koelsch on Sep 24, 2017
     If you do not like day lilies I am in line for some. I'll pay the postage and you can consider it your good deed for uplifting my spirits. A friend in Texas sent me some of the most beautiful deep irises I have ever seen. It was worth the postage.

• RF RF on Sep 25, 2017
    Jerusha ... that's so nice of you to handle this for your friend. You must have ideal growing conditions. This year the deer ate the flower buds.

• Len Len on Sep 25, 2017
    Give them to me

• MaryElias Lopez MaryElias Lopez on Sep 26, 2017
    Oh, my gosh, i would love some! I wonder if a border sunk deep enough in the soil would contain them?

• Les30028356 Les30028356 on Sep 26, 2017
    If you still want to get rid of them, dig them up and give them to others to plant in their yards or gardens. I'm sure there's someone that would like to have them. If I didn't live in a 5-story apartment building I would be glad to take them off you hands .