How to fully remove weeds from rose gardens

+9
Removing weeds permanently from my rose garden
q how to fully remove weeds from rose gardens
  • FL FL on Jan 04, 2018
    Its a lot of work but worth it. I don't recommend herbicides or caustic treatments like salt which will affect the soil. So, one section at a time, pull weeds, grass, all growth. Cover with burlap or landscaping cloth and use gravel, stones or mulch. That will do a good job of stopping weed growth but an occasional one or two may need pulling. if you want to take advantage of the weed-free condition, you can augment the soil, have it tested, turn it over, whatever you want, then cover it because the weeds need to be stopped by limiting sun exposure.

• Debbie Blackey Debbie Blackey on Jan 04, 2018
    I'd be tempted to dig up the roses, clear the area. Then replant and mulch . With whatever is available to you, preferably organic mulch. It looks like the area has been neglected for awhile. It will be hard work, but worth it. Do you have county extension offices there? Or a garden center you trust to get advice? Hope this helps. Debbie,Master Gardener .NH,USA.

• Sharon Sharon on Jan 04, 2018
    hoe hoe hoe, then remove the plants as they loosen up and dispose of the roots and plants. I would use Weed n Feed on the areas away from your flower beds, or you could use Weed B Gone in a garden sprayer and apply to areas away from plantings.
    Then hoe around your plants or use a weedwhacker. Putting landscape fabric down after using a weedwhacker worked in my beds. Then I just cut a hole if I want to add another plant.
    Rototilling the larger areas would also allow you to start over to get that massive invasion of ground cover. Once you've tilled it, just pick up or rake up the plants and roots.

• Wow! What a great yard! I see what you mean about the weeds. Here are some links for you.

What I did was pull all the weeds, then lay down landscape fabric, newspapers or cardboard. Then 2"-3" of mulch. Work a section at a time. It will take a bit of time, but well worth it in the end. Or if your budget allows, hire a clean up crew to come in and do for you in one go. You will still get random weeds here and there, but they will be on top of the mulch and shallow rooted and easy to pull. I weed just about every single day year round. 10 or 15 minutes can make a difference, that way I do not have to spend every Saturday morning weeding and more time enjoying the yard.

• Peter Peter on Jan 04, 2018
    From the looks of it, you'll need to know diligent weeding is better than quick remedies!
    As for my recommendation... mulch. Or plastic cover.
    Chemicals almost always get to MORE than your target. The boiling water trick may be useful here.
    Most Mulch / compost proponents mention that tilling will bring MORE weed seeds into favorable germination conditions... so mulching is advised to supplement any tilling!

• Mar31895609 Mar31895609 on Jan 04, 2018
    I would do the salt solution. Boil water add salt. Once dissolved pour where weeds are.it's suppose to get rid of them permanently. Beets pulling or tryingto kill them every month.I would go where weeds are and do section at a time. Or try putting salt directly over them . good luck.

• Cheryl Cheryl on Jan 05, 2018
    Wow!
    That’s lots of back breaking labor!
    I‘ve a Friend who just trims out the desired shape of her bed, covers weeds w newspaper which is biodegradable and Earth friendly, then mulches right on top of the newspaper.
    A very inexpensive way to “ choke out” the weeds all the while being friendly to your soil and existing desired plants too!
    Good luck whichever method you choose!
    And be certain to have extra Epsom salts for a nice hot bath for yourself whichever method appeals most to you!
    Happy Gardening!

• Ivory Ivory on Jan 05, 2018
    I feel your pain, because I am faced with weeds in my flower garden to. Cannot focus on planting and beautifying the garden due to the weeds. So frustrated.

• Ginger Doege Metcalf Ginger Doege Metcalf on Jan 05, 2018
    Your local garden store should have 20% vinegar. That will do it. Please, no salt.