I have fruit nats, in my kitchen and bathroom, they seem to go to wate

Marcia McKee
by Marcia McKee

they seem to go toward water, but I can't figure how to get rid of fruit flies, even when I get rid of standing water.

• Dysko7710 Dysko7710 on Jan 29, 2018

To control the ones you have, place apple cider vinegar in a small bowl, they will attract to that and drown in it. You'll have to dispose of it once it catches some and refill. Do a thorough cleaning of both rooms to make sure of any areas attracting them. In the kitchen, clean your drains with drain cleaner or even by pouring baking soda down them and then vinegar to clean them out in case they are being attracted to food matter in the drain.

• Dav30793591 Dav30793591 on Jan 29, 2018

Remove the fruit from open air

Clean walls that have scented soaps/sprays

• Mogie Mogie on Jan 29, 2018

Need to do some serious cleaning to make sure they don't have any food.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jan 29, 2018

The vinegar trap in the covered glass jar a cup has always worked for me.

Per link below

“Get Rid of Fruitflies with a Homemade Fruit Fly Trap. Pour just enough cider vinegar to cover the bottom of the jar. Add a drop of dish soap (it will break the surface tension of the vinegar so the fruit flies can't just sit atop the liquid). Now, cover the jar with plastic wrap and poke a few holes in the top.”

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/homemade-fruit-fly-trap-123615

• DesertRose DesertRose on Jan 29, 2018

The easiest way, and surest way to get rid of fruit gnats is to use Simple Green. You can get it wherever soaps are sold except in Walmart it is in the boat/auto section for some reason. Menards sells it in both concentrate and spray bottles. (I keep both on hand to refill from the concentrate and save money). INSTRUCTS: spray your drains 2 or 3 squirts every day for a week to ten days. That means the shower, tub, every sink, etc. They live in the drains. Then after you no longer see them, spray each drain the same way once a week to keep them down. They come in on the fruit you buy, so be sure to keep fruit in the fridge or a container. Hope this helps. and by the way, it is a great cleaner disinfectant/deodorizer. I use it for all my cleaning because it is not toxic to people!

• You can check out this in-depth guide on how to get rid of fruit flies for more homemade traps, repellents, and prevention ideas: https://www.hometalk.com/diy/outdoor/pest-repeller/how-to-get-rid-of-fruit-flies-44422215

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on May 10, 2024

This is what I do, wash all fruit and vegies when you bring them home and store all in the refrig except bananas. If there were any eggs on the produce they are now in the drain, to address this problem put 1/2 cup of baking soda in each kitchen drain and follow with 1 cup vinegar. When the fizzing stops rinse well with hot water for a min or so, cover the drains with a stopper. For the airborne ones, take a mice sticky cardboard trap and cut 1 in half with the plastic cover on it, peel off the plastic cover off 1 of these halves and place a piece of decaying fruit in the center of it, that will draw them. They will land and that ends the cycle.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on May 10, 2024

Maybe keep all sweet things in fridge and make sure tops are wped over.