How to fix mold and mildew in basement?

+2
  • Dysko7710 Dysko7710 on Dec 09, 2017
    I had this problem, and I scrubbed the walls where the mold and mildew were with a mixture of bleach and water. You have to wear a mask and gloves to do this. I worked on a section at a time and took breaks. Then I painted the walls with KILZ paint, which seals the wall and prevents the mold and mildew from returning.

• Dfm Dfm on Dec 09, 2017
    half vinager, half water. Mix and spray on the mold. It will kill the mold spores as well as the actual mold

• Lisa S. Lisa S. on Dec 09, 2017
    Consider a dehumidifier . You have a moisture problem.

• Jea29403251 Jea29403251 on Dec 09, 2017
    Do not use bleach.. it is a myth that it kills mold, it only kills the surface mold and not the mold that lives underneath. It cannot penetrate the porous surfaces and it will also ruin drywall, etc. White vinegar is the very best way to kill mold .. and while vinegar will not harm you, so use plain white vinegar straight, not diluted in a spray bottle. Be sure to wear protective masks, gloves etc so the mold will not get in your lungs or on you. My office once flooded and mold ensued... I learned much from that experience.

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 10, 2017
    I would put a fan in the basement window to get some air circulation, then inspect the walls for how moisture is getting in. First clean the mold and mildew, you can use vinegar and water in a garden sprayer and scrub it off. Wear goggles, respirator and a paper hazmat suit. Once its clean and dry (run fans to dry), I would fill any cracks, crevices and holes with caulk, and then paint the walls with a moisture sealant like Drylok.
    Do a moisture test on the concrete floor and see if its wicking moisture by taping a foot square of black plastic down on the floor and leave for 48 hours, if you lift it up and its wet, the concrete is wicking moisture and was never sealed. I would seal it with a concrete sealant.
    I would replace one or more of the basement windows with glass blocks and a vent in each. Add a dehumidifier to the basement.
    You should also check outside to see where the water is coming from, like gutters that aren't clean or downspouts empyting too close to the house add extenders. If there is a hillside draining down to your foundation, put in a french drain.