How can I most easily refinish the top of this table?

+2

My late husband started to sand this down, refinished the small section - didn’t like it so sanded it again. I can’t afford to pay someone to do it and I’m not handy and doubt I could strip it and refinish it nicely. Could I paint it and stencil the top? I like this very much especially because he really liked it and want to keep it.

q how can i most easily refinish the top of this table
  • Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Jan 29, 2019

Penny...If you don't strip you will need to sand so the paint will adhere to it. Good luck!

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom Holly Lengner - Lost Mom on Jan 29, 2019

You can always paint it (and stencil) with chalk paint. It doesn't require sanding and I love how it looks.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Jan 29, 2019

What a lovely old table. Actually, from the picture, it looks pretty good and doesn't need anything done to it. If you still want to do something, I'd get a palm sander and sand it. It doesn't have to be done all at once. Make it fun - not a job. Then choose the color stain you want and practice on a throw-away board. You can do it!

Please don't paint it as painting everything is a fad. You'll have more work restoring the table when the fad passes and you wish you had that lovely table back.

• Debi53 Debi53 on Jan 29, 2019

If the stain on the legs is in good condition, you could leave them and just paint the top. This gives a really pretty look. Even if you think you want to paint the entire table, start with just the top. You can always go back and paint the legs. If you want to retain the table andI you have the stain that is used elsewhere on the table, you could restain just the top. It isn't hard to do. Rent a palm sander and sand just the top and apply the stain following the directions. I have done this myself. Use thin coats of stain until you get the desired look.

• Dsouther Dsouther on Feb 01, 2019

Please don't paint it. Chalk paint is AWFUL !!!. I hate that texture. It might be ok for cheap furniture picked up at Walmart but not on a beautiful antique like you have. i am so sick of seeing people paint antiques. Check with your friends to see if they known of someone who restores furniture. See if that person can give you some advise on how to restore this piece yourself.