Asked on Jun 11, 2017

How to replace canvas in camp chair?

Anni
by Anni
+4
I also have a camp chair I'd like to make new seat & back for. It's not an ordinary chair as it has rockers that can be attached to the legs. Otherwise, I would just replace the chair. My question would be, the grommets are large, can they be replaced or reused in new fabric? I thought of cutting the square around them, but they are rather rusted. I only have a regular sewing machine & no grommet experience. Thank you!
q how to replace canvas in camp chair
Rockers made to snap on & lock.
q how to replace canvas in camp chair
Large rusted grommets.
q how to replace canvas in camp chair
Corner seat damage. Leather reinforcements.
  • Max Max on Jun 12, 2017
    Thanks!

• Lyn15291588 Lyn15291588 on Jun 12, 2017
    you can purchase grommets at walmart or any craft store. They come in packages with the instructions and usually pictures on the back. They are relatively easy to install.

• Doris Doris on Jun 12, 2017
    In my experience grommets purchased at Walmart or craft store are very expensive. My latest project required a LOT of grommets (privacy and wind screen around my balcony), so I went to an auto parts store (Princess Auto) and purchased a tarp repair kit for about 1/3 the cost for the same amount of grommets from the craft store. It pays to shop around!

• Gorky Pal Gorky Pal on Jun 12, 2017
    You can remove the canvas and replace it with ropes knitted....like a hammock
    hope it serves.

• Glenda Glenda on Jun 15, 2017
    Grommets are easy. Watch a youtube video. I would start by selecting and purchasing the new fabric. Use a seam ripper to remove the old fabric and use for your pattern, remembering to leave a seam allowance for the edges. After making the actual fabric sling, I'd dry fit to properly place my grommets. Use your fabric colors to determine if you want silver, gold, or another metallic color. It sounds like you love this chair, good luck!

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Jun 16, 2017
    What are you trying to do, put Duck tape out of business? Haha! You have a terrific chair. If you believe you can take the chair, grommets and seat apart and put it back together, now is the time. Everywhere there is metal, use fine steel wool to get off any debris or early rusting. Heavy rusting may need sandpaper. Then paint the frame with Rust-Oleum. If you change the color, remember to paint the grommets and any other new parts, if you want to. Then put it all back together. Best wishes 😇