How to tile a drop leaf table

+2
  • Barbara Barbara on Dec 30, 2017
    just make sure you pick the right size of tiles so they will fit evenly on the table as well as the leafs.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 30, 2017
    I would secure the tiles when the leaves are up so that you know they will be placed so they aren't put on too tight and you won't be able to get the leaves up correctly.

• Emily Emily on Dec 30, 2017
    My husband made me this work bench some years ago. I did not want a work bench but I did want a place to display my big pieces of blue and white china. As Barbara says, I measured the counter carefully and found tiles that just fit with the bull nose edging on one side only. I did not leave any room for grout. This has worked very well, but it does not get the hard use a food prep. counter would get.

• M. M.. M. M.. on Dec 31, 2017
    Double, triple-check that the tiles will fit well when the leaves are moved in and out of place. I had a gateleg table that required one to lift the table top UP before getting it to fold down. A tightly-fitted tile top would have not allowed that. Try a few tiles taped into place to see how your leaves line up and how many tiles or how many cuts are needed.Then you'll also know the weight the hinges will have to carry. You can rent tile cutting saws, get the kind that use water for the smoothest cuts.