How do I refinish flakeboard cabinets?

+1

I HAVE FLAKEBOARD CABINETS AND WOULD LIKE TO REFINISH THEM

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Feb 04, 2019

Remove all hardware, doors and drawers. Mark on back where they go. Wash down with TSP and then sand the sheen off. Prime with oil based primer, lightly sand again if not smooth. Apply 2 coats of oil based paint.

• William William on Feb 04, 2019

How to Paint Cabinets

Make sure they are clean and dry. Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint with 200 grit sandpaper or a green Scotch Brite pad.. Use a tack cloth or damp rag to remove dust after sanding. Prime with a stain blocking primer like KILZ. Acrylic or water base paints are low-fume and clean up easily with water. Alkyd or oil-based paints require good ventilation because the paint contains solvents that can irritate your lungs and make you feel sick. Alkyd options require mineral spirits for cleanup, but they provide a hard, durable paint finish. Whichever you use, buy the best-quality paint you can afford for a lasting kitchen cabinet finish. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.

• Pat Rios Pat Rios on Feb 04, 2019

I never painted flakeboard surface, but usually flakeboard cabinets have a veneer or laminate surface over it, and you can paint that.

Here is a video on how I painted my cabinets.

https://youtu.be/Ko5CsLqNIZQ

• Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Feb 04, 2019

Keep in mind that if the particle board part of the cabinet is flacking or pealing, painting won't help.