What paint to use?

+15

I’m lettering on old window that will hang outside, exposed to the weather. What is the best kind of paint to use? Thank you in advance!

• You could use an oil-based paint which will last longer but be aware, it won't last forever. You can try sealing it too to try and extend its life.

• Janice Janice on Dec 02, 2021

I agree completely with Becky's advice.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Dec 02, 2021

I also agree with Becky. Oil based paints are a little harder to work with but will give you the longest lasting option for outdoor use. Just make absolute certain that you let it dry completely (oil based paints take longer to dry) before exposing it to the elements.

• Yes! Totally agree with using an oil based paints.

• Patricia Patricia on Dec 02, 2021

Thanks everyone!!

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Dec 02, 2021

Exterior house paint and seal.

• Mogie Mogie on Dec 02, 2021

Oil-based paint creates a stronger and more durable finish, making it an excellent choice for exterior paint projects. The downsides are that they take longer to cure than water-based paints, are oftentimes mixed with harsh chemicals, and also emit VOCs (volatile organic compounds). Oil-based paints do have a tendency to crack and yellow over time, especially when used on wood siding, which expands and contracts with the weather.

Oil-based paints used to be the go-to choice for exterior projects for many years, but the recent technological advancements made in water-based paints makes them the overall better choice. Acrylic paint is the most durable of all. It’s long-lasting, flexible, and able to withstand fading from the sun or damage from rain and other elements.

• Tuula - Color Me Thrifty Tuula - Color Me Thrifty on Dec 02, 2021

Nothing you use will last forever if your window is out in the elements. I never use oil for anything because it's nasty clean up and not good for the environment. There are great acrylic and latex options for exterior use these days. I would check them out at your local paint store.

• William William on Dec 02, 2021

Any paint will work but not last forever. You can seal the paint with clear sealer to extend the lasting time. You can use clear spray paint to seal. Oil based will work but not easy to work with. Latex paints or acilic paint will also work and are easier to work with. When I was in grade school in the 60's we used to paint store windows for Halloween. The best three paintings won a prize. We used latex paints back then. They lasted for the whole month of October until they were scraped off and remaining was washed off.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Dec 02, 2021

Yes, go with the oil based paints, they will endure all kinds of weather, but not forever.

• Betsy Betsy on Dec 02, 2021

Hi Patricia: I suggest that you use one of these paints. Check the pro's and con's when choosing. https://bestofmachinery.com/best-paint-for-glass/

Also, I think I'd do a reverse painting, e.g. painting on the back side of the glass. You can make your lettering on a piece of paper, tape it to your glass and then trace it on the front of your glass. Then, turn your glass over and paint the lettering on the back. You can even get another piece of glass to attach to the back of the project, once it's done, and caulk around the edges to make it waterproof. I think I'd leave a gap at the bottom to allow for any moisture that may want to collect, to drip out.

Good luck and happy crafting

• Use an exterior, oil-based paint.

• Jeremy Hoffpauir Jeremy Hoffpauir on Dec 08, 2021

Oil based exterior grade paint will work best

• Deb K Deb K on Dec 12, 2021

Hi Patricia, at least three types of paint may be used on glass: acrylic enamel, acrylics marked as suitable for tile or glass, and specially formulated solvent-based paints.

• Homeroad Homeroad on Dec 19, 2021

I have a lot of luck with Fusion Mineral Paint. You can paint on glass and you can use it outdoors. I would put a sealer on it for outdoors as well.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Dec 26, 2021

Hi Patricia, perhaps you can consider using glass etching instead of paint? The effect will be more subtle but last longer.