By Corrie Pelc
When one thinks of purchasing a vacuum cleaner, they generally think of the traditional upright vacuum that’s heavy, bulky, and a workout to move around the house. For those who live in smaller homes and apartments, a standard upright vacuum may just be too much of a hassle to clean a small amount of flooring. Enter the cordless stick vacuum cleaner — a lightweight, smaller-footprint vacuum that can be just as powerful as a traditional upright vacuum cleaner, but with the added benefit of being cordless and easier to use and store. We've rounded up a detailed list of the best cordless stick vacuums on the market right now and dove into specs about each one to help you determine which option is the best for you.
Cordless stick vacuums can also be a great option to have on hand in larger homes when you need a smaller tool to clean up a random mess. Some of today’s cordless stick vacuums can even transition into a handheld vacuum for extra convenience.
Why Would I Want a Cordless Stick Vacuum?
There are definitely some pros to having a cordless stick vacuum in the house:
- There’s no cord: The most obvious pro to a cordless stick vacuum is that it is battery-operated, so there’s no cord to plug in. That means you can easily use the cordless stick vacuum to other areas outside of the house that might not have an accessible outlet, like in the garage or a shed.
- It’s easier to lug around: As stick vacuums are just smaller than traditional upright vacuums, they are also lighter. This makes them a great option for people who have trouble moving a traditional vacuum up and down stairs in their home.
- It’s perfect for quick messes: Because cordless stick vacuum cleaners are lightweight and battery-powered, they’re perfect to have on-hand for cleaning up small spills and messes.
While there are many pros to cordless stick vacuums, there are important details about them to consider before you buy:
- They’re not as powerful: Although there are quite a few best-rated cordless stick vacuums that are just as powerful as standard upright vacuums, some will not be as powerful when it comes to sucking up ground-in dirt from high-pile carpeting.
- They need a charge between cleanings: As with any appliance that is battery-powered, a corded stick vacuum will only clean for a limited time before it needs to be recharged. Thankfully, many of today’s cordless stick vacuums come with a second battery — or you can purchase a second one — so you can swap them during vacuum sessions. And generally, the battery charge does not take too long.
- They have smaller dirt canisters: While a smaller vacuum means it’s easier to maneuver around the house and stow away, that also means the amount of dirt it can hold in its canister will be less than a traditional upright vacuum. That just means you’ll have to empty it out a bit more frequently.
What is the Best Cordless Stick Vacuum for Me?
The cordless stick vacuum market has definitely expanded over the years, with a number of options to choose from. We used the following test factors to help narrow down what we consider the best cordless stick vacuum cleaners available right now:
- Price: With so many options out there today, price is an important factor when deciding on the best cordless stick vacuum.
- Weight: As cordless stick vacuums are smaller in size than standard upright vacuums, they will normally weigh less. And the lighter a cordless stick vacuum weighs, the easier it is to move around your home.
- Battery Size: A larger battery size generally means more power and cleaning time. Sometimes a manufacturer will list the voltage of the vacuum's battery, which is how much electrical power the battery can provide. Or they will list the mAh (milli-Amp hours) of the battery, which tells you how much energy capacity the battery has.
- Battery Charge: How long does the vacuum’s battery allow you to clean before it needs a charge?
- Floor Type: What type of flooring is this cordless stick vacuum the best for?
- Dirt Collection: How does the vacuum hold dirt — bagged or bagless?
- Filter Type: Having a good filter in your cordless stick vacuum is important to make sure allergens do not get back into the air. Many vacuums now have HEPA filters that help keep allergens out of your home, and some will even allow you to remove and wash the filter, helping you save money.
- Converts to Handheld: Many cordless stick vacuums today easily change into a handheld vacuum, making it easier to get into tight spaces like under furniture or hard-to-reach areas like stairs. Plus, that saves you from having to purchase a separate vacuum, making it more economical.
- Included Accessories: Does the cordless stick vacuum cleaner include any attachments like crevice or upholstery tools?
Let’s now take a look at our list of the best cordless stick vacuums.
Best Cordless Stick Vacuum for Carpet: Simplicity S65S One-Click Stick Vacuum for Carpet and Hardwood Floors
~ $230 on Amazon
A solid cordless stick vacuum for those with both carpet and bare floors that need to be kept clean.