How do I fix a textured wall?


The chair rail in my dining room is a shiplap design. The wall above the shiplap is a textured swirl pattern; I assume it's plaster or something used around the 1940's. I hate the two patterns together and want to smooth the upper wall but I'm not sure what the best method would be to get rid of the swirls.

  8 answers