How do I fix that?

q how do i fix that
  12 answers
  • Annie Annie on Feb 21, 2019

    Hi Rosemarie, are you wanting only to cover the open seam at the top? You could run a strip of paintable caulking along the whole length, then run your finger along the caulking you just placed. That would smoothen it out. Then let it dry. Then paint it the same color as your ceiling. Just be sure to buy caulking that you can paint! Some of it isn't paintable.

  • Mogie Mogie on Feb 21, 2019

    If it was me I would fill the crack in with some flexible and paintable caulking and then paint it after it dries to match the ceiling or wall.

  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Feb 21, 2019

    If it's caulk, remove as much as you can and re-caulk.

  • Carole Closs Carole Closs on Feb 22, 2019

    First I would check to see if the cupboard is attached tightly to the wall and not pulling down, then use paintable caulk to fill the seam ond smooth the seam.

  • Susan Harris Seeley Susan Harris Seeley on Feb 22, 2019

    If you own and don't rent, I would have someone check why your house is settling, and making the molding pull away like that, it could be a foundation problem or terminate damage.

    • See 2 previous
    • Brigette Fahey Brigette Fahey on Feb 27, 2019

      Our house is over 100 yrs old and I found areas like that. I filled them with a water based putty (easy for clean up on mistakes). Let the areas dried for a day, the painted over it. The nice thing about using putty vs caulking is if it ever needs replacing, it can be easily removed and refilled. Good luck!

  • Pam Walker Pam Walker on Feb 22, 2019

    Sheetrock puddy. Get some on your finger & smooth it in the cracks. Make sure you blend in as you go. Let it dry overnight & then paint the same color as your ceiling.

  • Lora Juliet Jensen Lora Juliet Jensen on Feb 22, 2019

    or, put some coving up

  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Feb 22, 2019

    I would put up strips of wood (or plastic that looks like wood) trim, or make crown molding by using wider, thicker trim. You will still have to caulk all seams, but you could create an expensive-looking finish to your ceiling for a ridiculously low price. Best wishes!

  • Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Feb 22, 2019

    I would use the drywall spackle, prime it and then paint. Have your thought about adding a bit more moulding to the upper portion to cover the whole crack after you fill it in?

  • Thomas Thomas on Feb 22, 2019

    looks like you might be able to remove that piece molding clean both surfaces well and reinstall it.

  • Barbara Morgan Barbara Morgan on Feb 22, 2019

    You have truss lift. It is due to the original construction and is a common problem . It can be avoided if the contractor is aware of the process. All the goop in the world stuck up there will not fix it, It will return. In fact I am surprised you don't have it in several places. I would tell you to talk with one or more contractors and get their input. Choose one who sounds credible, and if he needs instructions, call my son, who knows what to do.

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jan 04, 2021

    Hello Rosemarie,

    Have a new trim fitted, or try to repair the old one using a putty.