How can I remove mold from my ceilings?

We have Mold on Ceiling. Front Lanai

  15 answers
  • I'm not sure what your ceiling is made of, but vinegar should kill the mold. I would use it straight (not watered down) in a spray bottle.

  • Vinegar. Vinegar kills mold spores, bleach does not.

    There is a product called "Wet & Forget" that many people love. I have never used it personally.

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jul 17, 2019

    White cleaning vinegar to clean as Ann & Naomie mentioned. Once you have killed all the spores, you may have stains. That is where a product like Krud Kutter, 30 Seconds, or chlorine bleach would come in handy. I would pressure wash to remove all residue. Once clean, the "Wet & Forget Outdoor" product that Naomie mentioned has an inhibitor in it that should help to keep issues like this away.

  • Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Jul 17, 2019

    If this is interior space, PLEASE have the mold tested before you sleep with it or try to remove it. You can turn on the a/c and lower the humidistat to under 50% to remove inside moisture. If the mold is not dangerous, clean it thoroughly with cleaning vinegar (higher acidity than regular white vinegar).

  • Hi Catherine - There are several ways to get rid of mold, but most importantly, you need to address the root cause to keep it from returning. This article focuses on the bathroom, but is an overall great article that covers methods of how to remove mold, if bleach is safe to use, and how to prevent it from coming back. Hope this helps! Hugs, Holly

    PS - We have a FREE eBook with recipes for all of my homemade and all-natural cleaners. You can download it here -->

  • Rita Siegel Rita Siegel on Jul 18, 2019

    Looks like the aluminum pan roof of an outdoor porch? I've had mine pressure washed w/o any further ado.

  • Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Jul 19, 2019

    AHA! A Lanai! I'd bet the seller sealed up the room w/o having a/c on in there. FL is outrageously humid so that's the issue. Yes, put a dehumidifier in there along with an a/c unit. Both will work to kill off mold spores.

    If the restoration company tries to tell you it's dangerous w/o testing, don't pay! They should test it for "toxic mold" and show you the results.

    If not toxic mold, spray with bleach using a handheld pump sprayer. Do not disturb the mold! Allow the bleach to work to kill it and then return and spray again for safety. Afterward, use a stiff bristle broom to reach the mold and scrub it off. Again spray down the room with bleach (at this point you definitely must use a respirator and open the windows while spraying). Scrub again.

    Repeat until NO mold is seen. Wash everything down with white vinegar and water. Then, be certain you keep the lanai windows all open OR keep the a/c on so this doesn't happen again.

  • Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Dec 31, 2020

    Go to a professional for help

  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Mar 07, 2023

    Clean it with vinegar, that will kill the spores, from there address the humidity, use an a/c, dehumidifier, damp rid bags, what ever it takes to drop the moisture level.

  • Mogie Mogie on Mar 07, 2023

    Have you had this checked to make sure it isn't toxic?

    If it isn't use a pump sprayer and spray the vinegar onto the moldy area.

    You may been to repeat the process.

    But first check to see if its toxic.

    You can buy black mold testing kits on as well as at Lowes.

  • Sue Sue on Mar 28, 2023

    There is a special product to kill mold that is used after a hurricane. I can’t remember the name maybe a search or calling a home improvement store would.

    Bleach in no way cleans most mold especially black mold. The beach may whiten it after it is clean. Something like a sealer like Kiltz will cover it after it is dead.

    Cat 5 hurricane survivor here lol

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Sep 30, 2023

    Warm air rises and gets trapped on cold surfaces. You could use Spray and Leave, or get a ladder and clean it off with Cillit Bang!

  • First, find the source of the mold and eliminate it. Wash the ceiling with vinegar to kill the spores.

  • Deb K Deb K on Feb 04, 2024

    Hi Catherine, hope this helps you. Once you clean your ceiling with vinegar and rinse well, apply a coat of hydrogen peroxide may be one of the most effective mold-killing solutions. It is anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. Due to these credentials, cleaning mold from your ceiling, walls and floors using hydrogen peroxide often provides excellent results that are long lasting if other grow conditions are limited.