How do you prevent a bed on castors from moving around?

by Cindy
We just moved into a home with hardwood floors (yaaay!) but our bed moves too easily on the wide rolling castors. I've tried thick drink coasters and fabric pieces.
Any DIY suggestions??? Thanks in advance!
  24 answers
  • Debbie McGarrity Debbie McGarrity on May 06, 2015
    Try the plastic castors for furniture on carpet shoul have same effect or buy anti slip mat fabric at ikea or dollar store cut into squares and place under secure at top with elastic band oe cable ti I'd go for the band and the rubber needing first cheapest and most effective I'd think. HTH
    • Cindy Cindy on May 06, 2015
      @Debbie McGarrity I like your idea of the anti slip mat fabric! I do have some cupboard shelf fabric that might work and will try that tomorrow ... I'll let you know! Thank you!
  • Lesa Lesa on May 06, 2015
    You can actually buy small coaster type things that they can sit in. Or, you can go el cheapo and just use lids. If you use a bed skirt, it would hide them.
    • Cindy Cindy on May 06, 2015
      Thank you! I've been contemplating the ones you buy but in the meantime ... the grippy fabric or plastic lids might work!!!
  • Cindy Hinds Cindy Hinds on May 06, 2015
    You could use the draw liners with holes works great
  • Dorothy Dorothy on May 06, 2015
    bath and beynound have a item were you pute lrgin a cone typye devise to prevent from eollimng ///////CHEXK IT OUT O.K.GOOD LUCK
  • Dorothy Dorothy on May 06, 2015
  • Maria Garcia Maria Garcia on May 06, 2015
    Home Depot sells a 4 pk of square rubber washing machine holders. They stop the washer from "walking".
  • Kris Kowalski Kris Kowalski on May 06, 2015
    I would think a piece of carpet, rubber mat, or grippy shelf liner cut to the size.
  • Heather Heather on May 06, 2015
    I do not know if they still do them but Ikea used to have set of castors where one had a brake on.
  • Barb Hynes Barb Hynes on May 06, 2015
    Home depot or any home store like that sells rubber coasters that the wheels fit into. I have the same issue at my home and that is what I used. I only need two for the wheels by the head of the bed, since we sometimes read in bed and do not have a headboard yet. Still trying to figure out one to make.
  • Sharyn Diaz Sharyn Diaz on May 06, 2015
    Replace the wheels with bed frame feet...inexpensive way to turn a rolling bed into a stationary bed and no damage to floors.
  • Liz Weiss Liz Weiss on May 06, 2015
    An inexpensive way is to go to the dollar store and by the flexible jar rubber. They work great.
  • Swan Road Designs Swan Road Designs on May 06, 2015
    Replace the existing casters with ones that lock. They are available at hardware stores and online.
    • Molly F Molly F on May 06, 2015
      I have those kind now and they still scratched my hardwood floors! @Swan Road Designs
  • Seema Y. khan Seema Y. khan on May 06, 2015
    I used outdoor rubber mat , just cut according to the size you want and place it under all four wheels. It's been 6 years for mine and I am happy with it.
    comment photo
  • I second the rug. Or remove the castors and get bun feet or something similar.
  • Buster Evans Buster Evans on May 07, 2015
    they "USE TO MAKE" a round flat rubber coaster that had a slight rim on it to keep furniture in place... Im not sure who would sell them now but they are an easy fix and shouldn't cost much.
  • Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on May 08, 2015
    A carpet place might just give you a scrap piece of rubberized underlay that you could cut to fit under the castors.
  • Jackie Webb Jackie Webb on May 08, 2015
    use lids from screw top jars you can paint them to match the floor.
  • I have a grand piano that has plastic holders for the casters so that the casters don't damage the hardwood floor. You might try getting some at a piano store.
  • MarcioWilges MarcioWilges on Jul 27, 2015
    I think a rug or carpet is a good idea too. Better than getting all sorts of scuffs and scrapes on your parquet and going through hell and back with the removals of the marks!
  • Doj5270971 Doj5270971 on Jun 05, 2016
    Those brown rubber chair caps are at the hardware store. Square or round.. I use them under my flower cart on patio- stops the cart from rusting.
  • Mrs P Mrs P on Aug 02, 2016
    You might not like my answer.....but.... My husband cut the rollers off... I was upset not knowing he did this... He said the bed was too high to have to climb up into the bed. Right above the roller at the base of metal that where he cut all of them., mind you I have a California super king with pillow top., so it is high., but thats ok I wanted it softer for back and neck and bought a 4-1/2 topper ....lmao it's even higher now. Chicks rule !!!!! We bought these coaster type thing from Loews to go under leg., bottom half has carpet on it, that side goes on hardwood., the other side Is for the metal leg to sit on., if you get them make sure you don't forget the leg supports in center of bed. Look under your bed to see if you have 1 or 2 supports, plus your 4 outside legs. This worked for us and the bed stays put., you will loose that 2" for putting stuff under the bed. Good luck
  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Aug 01, 2023

    I like the idea of an area rug, but they do get dusty and also a trip hazard as we get older. I would probably go the route of non slip rubber under each castor. You could also remove the castors and let the bed sit on the floor with padding under each leg.

  • Mogie Mogie on Aug 06, 2023

    By placing velcro pads on the feet of your bed, you can prevent it from rolling or sliding around on the floor.