Moving heavy furniture

+7
I have tried everything I know to move a heavy 4 poster cherry bed but at a loss. If there are things I have missed or if you know something that will really work, would appreciate your sharing

• Have you tried furniture sliders? See if these links help.

I have also hired neighborhood high school and college kids to help me too.

• Lisa S. Lisa S. on Jan 08, 2018
    Take it apart. Try the sliders. I have some and they are great.

• Swinnen Lisette Swinnen Lisette on Jan 08, 2018
    It depends on your floor, what is it? tiles? wood? does it scratch easily or not? Does that bed has to move far? An old trick is to put old cloths under the legs (or old carpets) (by the way, can you lift one leg at the time to put the cloth or carpet under it?) Then pull at the cloths or carpets.
    Another solution is :get help. Invite some friends or family or neighbours over for a drink or simple diner and ask them to help you with that bed.
    With a couple hands more it becomes easier. I live too far..

• Julanne Sharrow Julanne Sharrow on Jan 08, 2018
    I had to lift up the foot of the bad to get carpet under...used the car jack!

• Amanda Amanda on Jan 08, 2018
    Hi Doris. I use furniture movers. The tricky part though can be getting them under the furniture.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jan 08, 2018
    I do most of the heavy lifting these days, due to my husband's health concerns. I use sliders (they come in many sizes) and a dolly for moving other items. I have moved many heavy things being careful about lifting (if you aren't sure how, look up body mechanics for lifting). Recently I needed to carry a heavy desk upstairs. I found two willing helpers, and we got it upstairs without anyone getting hurt. If you don't know anyone who can help, ask around for a handyman or two who are willing to do a small job. Call your local organizations like your local senior groups and ask if they have anyone they recommend for this type of project. Some moving companies also have subcontractors who do heavy lifting.

• Dfm Dfm on Jan 08, 2018
    those silicon moving discs are awesome. Saved my back ore than once.

• Emily Emily on Jan 08, 2018
    I think you need some real muscle power as in two or three hefty guys. Mattresses today are really heavy.

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Jan 08, 2018
    Use four furniture moving pads/floats - one under each bedpost. You can buy sets of them in Lowes, Home Depot and hardware stores.

• Mar31895609 Mar31895609 on Jan 08, 2018
    There are sliders to put under each post. I know i have them. They are made so you.don't scratch floors and to change positions of bed. I moved into new apartment in may. We set the bed up but I didn't move in till June. All of a sudden they appeared. Don't know if furniture fairy did it. All I know is. no_one wants to take the credit.
    .