Table top needs refinishing

DAnna Lawson
by DAnna Lawson
The top of this table is thin glass mosaic with grout...not in good shape. A curbside find. Any ideas on how to make the top more attractive?
  5 answers
  • Polly Zieper Polly Zieper on May 01, 2015
    Is the surface flat or glossy?If its not glossy, could you paint over the colored or the white tiles with acrylic paint?If you painted over the colored tiles I don't think the grout, or whatever is between the glass tiles would look dirty. If you can paint over the purple and green tiles, you could then seal the table with a clear coat to protect it.
  • DAnna Lawson DAnna Lawson on May 01, 2015
    it is shiny. I believe the pieces are a thin glass. I was wondering if acrylic paint would peel off?
  • Gail Salminen Gail Salminen on May 01, 2015
    @DAnna Lawson looks like a good iron table with a mosaic put into the area usually meant for glass. Is it that you don't like the look of the mosaic. You could remove the tiles that are there and put a different mosaic in, or you could take it out and get a round glass top for it. The other option is just to get a round wood top and finish that, place it on top of the mosaic. Just not sure what look you want to go for.
    • DAnna Lawson DAnna Lawson on May 01, 2015
      Yes, it's a very sturdy (and very heavy) iron table. Don't want to go to trouble of removing mosaic, but don't like the top. I'm thinking of painting it and perhaps putting round clear glass top on it. I think it's going to end up as a plant stand on front porch.
  • Markie Markie on May 02, 2015
    Start simple by painting grout white or black. Believe it or not black would pop the colors! They do have glass paint @ Hobby Lobby or Micheal's. I like the mosaic pattern u have, sometimes the simplest can b the best way 2 go! Good luck! U will come up with something....
  • Have you tried a good cleaner for lime deposits and water stains?? Looks like the same film that builds up on shower doors. Just a thought. Don't know if it's really glass or that acrylic stuff to look like glass.