Asked on Oct 16, 2020

Painting garage walls - What is this orange stuff?

by Sandeep

We just purchased a home and are planning to paint garage walls soon. There is some orange stuff over one of the concrete wall edges (See picture) - I am assuming this is insulation but not sure what it is. Appreciate any input on how to clean up and paint over this concrete wall.

q painting garage walls what is this orange stuff
  16 answers
  • J Brown J Brown on Oct 16, 2020

    looks like spray foam used to seal the area. You should be able to cut/scrape the excess off with a sharp object allowing you have a more flush surface to paint

  • on Oct 16, 2020

    It's spray insulation foam. You can trim it away to make a smooth wall.

  • Brooke Watson Brooke Watson on Oct 16, 2020

    I've had that in my home - I believe it's a foam spray insulation as well... helps keep out the cold, heat.

  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Oct 16, 2020

    Great for insulating, not so much for painting. I usually cut excess with a utility knife, but, since yours is a big lump, I would remove it with a sharp chisel and hammer. Should come off with a little patience. When you get down to the wall, use a plastic scraper and take care not to gauge the wall. Good luck and stay safe!

  • Sandy Sandy on Oct 16, 2020



  • Janice Janice on Oct 16, 2020

    Wow! it looks as if someone got serious with the expandable pray insulation!

    If it's what I think it is you could cut it away (a serrated knife works great) wo make it more even with the rest of the wall, then perhaps add piece of plywood or paneling cut to size to cover the areas, then paint it all for a cohesive, clean result.

  • Yup, what everyone else said. It's spray foam insulation that can be cut away. We painted out concrete patio with Benjamin Moore floor and wall paint and it was awesome. I highly recommend it and it can be tinted to any color you like.

  • Em Em on Oct 16, 2020

    Use a long sharp knife and cut it of flush. You can smooth it with sandpaper and top with spackling then paint.

  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Oct 16, 2020

    All the other Hometalkers have identified your mystery stuff, when you choose to reshape it, please wear safety goggles and a protective mask.

  • Sandeep Sandeep on Oct 16, 2020

    Thanks guys, this is very helpful!

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Oct 16, 2020

    It's insulation. If it is soft, it's fiberglass insulation but if it's hard (almost foam like) it's the kind that is sprayed in. If that is the case, you can trim it even with the wall and then paint it.

  • Seth Seth on Oct 16, 2020

    I use a 12 inch hacksaw blade (not in the hacksaw) and bend it at 90 degrees about 1/3 of the way to make a crude handle. Now I have a cheap flush cut saw that is flexible and will trim the insulation flush with the surrounding surface. Easier than going at it with a utility knife blade. You can also use a putty knife. Drive it straight in along the border of the surrounding material making a separation. Then scrape it off flush.

  • Mogie Mogie on Oct 16, 2020

    That looks like insulation. There are several brands of spray foam insulation that are easy for home owners to use to seal up drafty areas.

    Good news is that it can be cut flush with your walls.

  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Oct 16, 2020

    Hello this is the aerosol spray foam insulation it could be removed with a fully retracted tractable knife blade or possibly a very sharp thin putty knife.

    The excess insulation just came out of the cavity in volcano fashion.

  • Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Oct 31, 2020

    foam insulation that fills in gaps ... it should not be done like this ..someone was in a hurry or lazy ... just cut off with knife all that exploded