Asked on Aug 04, 2017

How to fill in where door hinges were removed

by Sally
We took out an old door and installed a barn door. Now I need to fill in where the old door hinges were. Any advice is appreciated

  6 answers
  • Peggy Peggy on Aug 04, 2017

    How about wood putty?

  • Sco19943475 Sco19943475 on Aug 04, 2017

    wood putty then stain or paint over when dry.

  • Sharon Sharon on Aug 04, 2017

    You can cut a piece of wood to size, glue and screw it in. If its real thin, I've used paint stir sticks, otherwise go to store and look at moulding. Then use wood filler to hide seams and screws, sand, prime and paint.

  • Susan K Mullins Susan K Mullins on Aug 04, 2017

    wood putty the holes, sand and repaint

  • Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom on Aug 04, 2017

    If you are filling in the holes that were on the wall you can get drywall compound in a small container and fill in the holes with that and then paint right over it when it's dry.

  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Aug 05, 2017

    I hope you saved the old door and knob and other hardware to reuse. And the hinge slots can be filled with wood putty. The small pieces of wood should be held with wood glue, but you still might need to use putty to make the frame smooth. If you removed any wood trim on either side of the doorway, repair nail holes. Then paint everything that was repaired. Best wishes 😇