Leaking window frame

+3
I have water coming through at the base of the window frame leaking onto the inner cill. It could be the batten between the glass and the cill.

There is also water leaking under the window frame and dampening the bricks .

It is all bare wood and bricks so I cannot use anything that will show on the surface.

I cannot work outside until the weather improves so what can I do now internally ? Thanks

• Ken Ken on Dec 11, 2017
    Nothing. You have water coming in from the outside but you don't want to work outside. Anything you do inside will not stop the water and will likely make problems worse by trapping the water.

• Norman biddlecombe Norman biddlecombe on Dec 11, 2017
      Its not that I dont want to work outside but there s no point if it is rainng and freezing.
      I think it may be seeping through the beading around the glass so if I remove it dry it out and caulk the gap between glass and bead it might stop until can get outside in better weather

I can also fill the gap between the outer and inner brickwork under the window with foam filler for now to stop the water seeping through .

Thanks for your help

• Sandra Allen Sandra Allen on Dec 11, 2017
    I hope this helps. It's some videos on fixing the problem. Sadly, since you can't work outside, you will need help. Do you belong to a church or community center where you can advertise for it?

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 11, 2017
    You might want to have someone repair it, even temporarily to prevent water damage. Since it's leaking into the house, I doubt your homeowner's insurance will cover it, but, it's worth checking into. Is there some way to cover that area on the outside, even with plastic until milder weather?

• Ken Ken on Dec 11, 2017
    Sorry I wasn't of any help but it sounds like you have a plan. I'm wondering if stapling some clear plastic over the outside would not be a better choice.

You must have old wooden windows Norman. They use something called "glazing putty" along with glazing points to hold the glass in. Difficult part about using caulk is how much more difficult it will be to dig out when you do a proper refit. I'm not quite picturing the way your windows are installed but the sills must have some rot to them. When you get to doing the repairs in the spring there are some good products available to fill missing areas. It's like car body filler. I can recommend what I use here but often find that the UK has different brands available. Best of luck.