How can I color window or make it like stain glass?

My window has a cloudy film from neighbor spraying his trees. How I can color the window to hide the foggy/dirty look so it's still transparent or maybe make it appear something like stain glass? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can't afford to replace the window. Thank you so much!!!

  11 answers
  • Heje Heje on Jun 04, 2018
    Use class paint that can be found in hobby stores and car supply stores.

  • Heje Heje on Jun 04, 2018
    Sorry glass paint.

  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 04, 2018
    First try washing the window with white vinegar and water 50/50 a dab of jet dry and a dab of blue dawn dish soap

  • Have you heard of Gallery Glass? It comes in a variety of colors in squeeze bottles. You attach the design you would like on the window on the opposite side of where you want the Gallery Glass. There is "lead" to use to follow your outline. Then color in you design. There are lots of videos on YouTube. I've only done glass frames but a friend did 6 full length windows in the front of her home. They were gorgeous!

    She decided to get updated windows, She was going to throw the old ones away. I took them and now they decorate my garden!

    Heres a link that can probably explain it better than I can:

    Have fun!

  • 27524803 27524803 on Jun 04, 2018
    The first thing to do... is use a "frosted" look spray to make the window look frosted....and even out the look.... Then... there are window cling materials available that come in different looks... stained glass , etched glass etc.. most large home improvement stores carry them...
    If you decide you want more of a stained glass look I would make a faux stained glass to hang in front of the window like a shade... make it from Plexiglas and use either stained glass paint and faux led-ing from a craft store (Michael's carries it) or use the led-ding and fill in with crumpled colored tissue paper (cut 1/4 inch larger than the design elements, leaves, petals, etc) apply the tissue to the surface with Modge Podge.

    • See 1 previous
    • 27524803 27524803 on Jun 07, 2018
      Most of the home improvement stores carry the "frosted" look paint in the spray paint department... or you could find it at a large craft supply.... check Walmart too in the spray paint.

  • Carol Marszalek Carol Marszalek on Jun 04, 2018
    Your Home Improvement stores carry wonderful designs in window vinyl. You spray on water, apply the vinyl and it can be removed without any damage! They are relatively inexpensive. Here is one example:

  • DesertRose DesertRose on Jun 04, 2018
    there are faux stain glass plastics you can cut to fit and stick on a bathroom window that are made just for such a situation. They allow light, but you cannot see through them. People often put them on bathroom windows or privacy. You can get them at Walmart in the home furnishings or most home improvement stores also carry them. Hope this helps.

    • Suzanne Suzanne on Jun 07, 2018
      Thank you, Lenora! I appreciate your help! I hope you have a nice day!

  • Franklinrawley Franklinrawley on Jun 04, 2018
    I would suggest that try asking at an auto parts store for some of their kit repair chemicals for cloudy headlights. Might work.

    • Suzanne Suzanne on Jun 07, 2018
      That's a great idea! It didn't occur to me but it's definitely worth a try! Thank you, Franklin : )

  • So glad I could help Suzanne. Have fun!

  • You're welcome! Have fun!

  • Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Feb 28, 2021

    I cant wait to see your project completed ! What a fun project to have