DIY Marble Backsplash in the Kitchen

I know all the cool kids are doing the white subway tile, which I actually love also. But my kitchen has white cabinets and white countertops, so a little contrast was in order. I've always loved the look of marble on a backsplash, the elegance that it gives a room. So we went with a marble subway tile backsplash. It was a ton of hard work, but the end result was worth it!

diy marble backsplash in the kitchen, diy, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design, tiling

Here's the before. Just a plain wall with the builder grade backsplash lip which we had to rip off.

Tiling is not as scary as I thought it would be, this was my first time ever tiling. It was extremely messy and time consuming and exhausting though! So many cuts...

I covered the countertops and laid out my tiles beforehand so I could get an even ratio of colors.

It was slow going because of all the many outlets I had to work around. I purchased a cheap tile saw which helped immensely.

We moved the oven out of the way (after turning off all the power) and I nailed a 1x2 board in its place to act as a guide for the tile.

We chose to use a ready made tile adhesive for this project and used 55 boxes of 8 tiles from Lowes.

For the raw edges I purchased a pencil tile, this gives it a more finished and refined look.

Ta da!

Although it was one of the most exhausting projects I've ever done, it was so worth it! Check out my blog post for all the details.

Honeybear Lane

• Jessica

Beautiful.Can u give me some ideas for redoing a laminate counter top?

• Veronica

laminate countertops have kits made specifically for them. Look around online or Lowe’s and Home Depot, besides paint stores.

• Trisha

How did you RIP off the backsplash? was it a one piece counter top or was the backsplash a separate piece glued on to the counter?

• Anne george

What was the approximate cost for all materials? Thank you.

• Lancegs

Beautifully done. I have been wanting to do a tile back splash. Thank you for the honest work assessment, material links and instructions.

• Fls7472038
    31 minutes ago

Looks professional, I am gonna try it,