DIY Marble Backsplash in the Kitchen

I know all the cool kids are doing the white subway tile, which I actually love also. But my kitchen has white cabinets and white countertops, so a little contrast was in order. I've always loved the look of marble on a backsplash, the elegance that it gives a room. So we went with a marble subway tile backsplash. It was a ton of hard work, but the end result was worth it!
diy marble backsplash in the kitchen, diy, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design, tiling
Tiling is not as scary as I thought it would be, this was my first time ever tiling. It was extremely messy and time consuming and exhausting though! So many cuts...
We moved the oven out of the way (after turning off all the power) and I nailed a 1x2 board in its place to act as a guide for the tile.
We chose to use a ready made tile adhesive for this project and used 55 boxes of 8 tiles from Lowes.
For the raw edges I purchased a pencil tile, this gives it a more finished and refined look.
Here's the before. Just a plain wall with the builder grade backsplash lip which we had to rip off.
I covered the countertops and laid out my tiles beforehand so I could get an even ratio of colors.
It was slow going because of all the many outlets I had to work around. I purchased a cheap tile saw which helped immensely.
Although it was one of the most exhausting projects I've ever done, it was so worth it! Check out my blog post for all the details.
Honeybear Lane

• M

you did an amazingly beautiful job. i think i would have used the birdcage pendant lights! where did you get that adorable fox cookie jar?

• Susie Scuri

How high are your ceilings and could you please share what lights you have? I am looking for this exact lantern style with the filament bulb. Thank you.

• Honeybear Lane

We have 9' ceilings in the kitchen. The pendants are from Lowes...I'm not sure if they carry them anymore though.

• Doreen Purchia

Great job. Did i miss the cost?

• Honeybear Lane

The tile and supplies cost about $700. The tile was marble though, so it's a more expensive tile than ceramic subway tile. Still, I saved a lot of money!