DIY Marble Backsplash in the Kitchen

I know all the cool kids are doing the white subway tile, which I actually love also. But my kitchen has white cabinets and white countertops, so a little contrast was in order. I've always loved the look of marble on a backsplash, the elegance that it gives a room. So we went with a marble subway tile backsplash. It was a ton of hard work, but the end result was worth it!

Here's the before. Just a plain wall with the builder grade backsplash lip which we had to rip off.

Tiling is not as scary as I thought it would be, this was my first time ever tiling. It was extremely messy and time consuming and exhausting though! So many cuts...

I covered the countertops and laid out my tiles beforehand so I could get an even ratio of colors.

It was slow going because of all the many outlets I had to work around. I purchased a cheap tile saw which helped immensely.

We moved the oven out of the way (after turning off all the power) and I nailed a 1x2 board in its place to act as a guide for the tile.

We chose to use a ready made tile adhesive for this project and used 55 boxes of 8 tiles from Lowes.

For the raw edges I purchased a pencil tile, this gives it a more finished and refined look.

Ta da!

Although it was one of the most exhausting projects I've ever done, it was so worth it! Check out my blog post for all the details.

Honeybear Lane

• Josette

How do you make up for the depth of the outlets?

• CinDee

what did you need all the nails for?

• Honeybear Lane

The nails refer to the board I hung in order to keep the space behind the oven level.

• Sandra Martin

Really want to know.....did you grout? It looks like you did. Could you have simply butted all the tiles up against each other to avoid having to grout?