Diana Wearing
Diana Wearing
  • Oregon, WI

Repurposed Vintage Heater ~

The minute I saw this old heater at a yard sale I knew it needed to come home with me ~ love the color, the rust and the fancy cut outs and I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it...
repurposed oil burner light, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor
Cleaned it up,gathered a few supplies and got started...
I wanted to fill it with light so I made a cylinder out of a piece of mesh fencing wrapped with a string of white lights ~ simple!
I opened it up took out the burner, dropped in a rusty old tart pan as a base for my light tower and slid in the lights ~ easy!
I love it! It looks great during the day and awesome at night!

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/dianasdiyden/

• Patti Nash

Can the rusty pieces be cleaned up? Are they down to raw metal or can the rust be removed with a solution?

• Jen Paradoski-Chwalek

You can use plain ol’ coca-Cola (coke soda pop) Original. You can pour it directly onto the metal and that will help start the process. . Coca-Cola is the ultimate weapon against the rust. Since it is carbonated it mixes with the oxides to break away rust and remove tarnish it also has phosphoric acid that remove the rust. The best way to do this is to soak the pieces in a bucket for 24 hours and if the pieces are too large you could take a sponge soak the sponge in the cola and leave it on the rusted area or you can crinkle up some aluminum foil dipped in cola and wrap it around let’s say rusted bumper for 24 hours it works well try it you got to scrub it but it works

• Nicole Murray

how do u fit the plug through hole to light it up

• Diana Wearing

There is a slit down the side at the bottom where the valve stem off the tank went I slide cord down through there (hope that makes sense!)

• Annie

wherecan I find one

• Diana Wearing

You can look for them at barn sales, flea markets, vintage/antique shops and online.

• Mary King

I have one that belonged to my Grandmother possibly Great-Grandmother. Love your idea. I also love that you didn't change the rust. Adds to the character!

• BeeZee

Wow, I wish I could find a heater like this one...great project!😊